Southern Sun

"Well that's it. That's the last box" I huffed out to my mother as I plopped down on the floor exhausted. I had spent the last few day's packing up our belongings for the big move. Now I just awaited for the moving guy's to load our thing's up so we could catch our late night flight to Alabama.

As I sat on the floor with my back propped up against the wall my mind wondered in a thousand different directions. I had absolutely no idea what I would do now. Sure I had plenty of idea's but didn't know where to begin.

Coming to New York or I should say running to New York when due to my horrible family I had so many aspirations. I wanted to do it all, be it all. Then I met Demarco at only twenty and the world as I knew it changed. He scared me at first but I quickly worked pass all his layers of badassery and saw the real Dem. The Dem I vowed to love forever.

Once in Alabama my plans were to find a nice safe place for me and my mother. May be in that nice gated community that kept people like us out. That same gated community that I watered their lawns down with colorful dyes as a teen. Which earned me that weenie tattoo on my ass that never ceased to make Dem laugh every time he saw it. Once duiring our sexy time I was on my knees with Dem behind me and we was really going at it until I hear him laughing. I craned my neck around to see what was going on. He starts laughing harder and stutters. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry".

"What?" I asked confused and a bit irritated that our session had been interupted.

"It's just this damn weenie guy tattoo. He's jiggling all around and waving at me as I'm trying to get it on". Dem laughed.

"Well fucking put your hand over him or something". I hissed.

"I can't. I'll still know he's there and feel like I'm smothering him or some shit". He laughed.

Mad at not getting mine I huffed. "Just get off me. Ugh".

Before I could move I was flipped over roughly and he pounced on me. Within seconds I was crying his name out as my body was shaken with a unstoppable orgasm. After I had floated back down I found myself laughing at Demarco and my little weenie guy. Needless to say we laughed nearly the entire time duiring that sexcapade.

The movers at the door scattered my thoughts and I realized that I had absentmindily shed a few tears over that memory. Dusting my face off I tried to make myself look presentable as I opened the door. I watched as they loaded my old life onto a truck. Nothing but boxes. That's what my a Demarco's life together had come down too... boxes. Some large, some small. Some heavy, some lite. Some fragile, some unbreakable. Like us. Like our relationship had been duiring different time's. In the end we are all boxes. We collect memories. Some big, some insignificant. Some weigh us down, some lift us up. Some make us cry, some make us strong. Some will live with us forever. But none the less we are all boxes shuffling around this world carrying our most prized possessions inside. But right now my box could be considered damaged freight.

Watching the truck pull off I glanced at the dusky skyline and just barely visible but visible nonetheless stood the Harper high rise. The place where I had lived and loved. Snapping my blinds closed and sealed the door on that past. Turning away from the window as well as my old life I took a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other.

As I was getting ready to leave for my flight there was another buzz at the door. Opening it there stood a delivery guy. Handing me a small box, I quickly signed my name and closed the door. Sitting by my table I pulled the card open and read.

"Wherever you go Sam you will always be apart of us. We are only a phone call away. Take care and we love you

                                                         L&L
                                                      Harper

A sad smile lit my face as I gently opened the box. Inside laid a beautiful braclett with many trinkets hanging from it but I knew all to well exactly what it was. Fingering the trinkets I found the one that seemed a bit odd and popped it open. Sure enough there was the tracker. Smiling I removed it and placed it in a empty drawer. I knew they meant well but I was cutting my ties.

Yes where I was going I wouldn't be known as a Harper anymore. I would simply be Samantha James once again. Not Sam nor cupcake. Just Samantha. No one would ever know that I had ever been married or the deep, dark secrets that I hold. My new life awaits me and I'm ready or as ready as I can be. With one long last look at New York a surge of emotions hit me. The city of dreams but the city that can eat you alive as well. This was it and I stepped into the cab.

Thankfully the wait at the airport didn't take long. Finally our flight was called and I ushered my mother along. Before I entered the terminal I stopped and looked back one more time. It was odd but something told me too and there he was. Standing tall, wearing his ball shorts and jersey tank. His tattoos on display, looking like the man I fell in love with. The man I knew beyond the suit and guns. We made eye contact and held each other's gazes. Part of me wanted to run to him and throw myself in his arm's but the other half said no. The flight signaled its last call and I knew I had to go. Gripping my bag tighter I gave Demarco a small smile and he smiled back in return and I boarded the plane.

We was going to be okay.