Twenty-three

I can't believe this.

I can't believe this is actually happening. I mean, I have been used before,in fact that's the only thing people did with me and that's all I've ever known but lately I had been feeling hopeful.

I silently laugh to myself. I was feeling hopeful in a mafia brothel where I was forced to work because of my ex-boyfriend's debt.

Tonight is the night that I have been dreading since yesterday.

Tonight I have to stay in my room and wait for Agostino to pick me up to do god knows what to me.

Am I scared? No. I do however feel a little uneasy and almost... betrayed.

"Heyoo!" exclaimed a cheery voice right next to me.

"Evelyn" I said in acknowledgement nodding my head.

"Why do you look like someone died?" she asked still cheery as ever.

"Because it's true" I said letting out a breath

She quickly lost her cheeriness and looked genuinely concerned, if I had been someone else I may have laughed, but that sounded like too much work at the moment.

"Who? Is it someone I know?" she asked with jumpy eyes.

"Not who. What." she looked at me confused " Hope, respect for people, l-"

She cut me off before I could continue
" You idiot, I got scared! Now quit being dramatic and tell me what happened."

I shrugged " Nothing happened, at least not yet" she looked at me questioningly

I just waved her off "Don't worry about it" she seemed reluctant but still didn't continue.

"You know, for a while now I wanted to ask you something but always kind of forgot"

She looked at me smiling again "Go on"

"You remember that night you gave me money so I could join the poker game?" she nodded " Why did you do that?"

At that question she looked away from me still smiling as if remembering something.

After a while she finally spoke "Because I saw the way you two looked at each other. You undressing him with your eyes and him giving you that smouldering look that can make any girl weak in the knees. It was the same way me and Constantin looked at each other."

I decided not to argue with her about the look part because it was true but the last part was what caught my interest. "Who is Constantin?"

"He was the love of my life, he was that one person I could not imagine my life without, however here I am without him."she looks down sadly.

I just looked at her not sure if it was appropriate to ask more questions but I decided to take a shot and do it.

"What happened?" I asked slowly

"He was Russian, a Russian mobster but to me he was the most gentle and caring man I had ever known. He got killed by the Italian mafia and I was forced to work for them" she explained

I was shocked. I couldn't believe what I just heard. I knew Agostino was ruthless but for some reason Evelyn's story ignited the hatred inside me even more.

"I will fucking kill him" I said with gritted teeth.

Evelyn seemed to understand who I'm talking about and quickly put her hand on my arm in a comforting manner.

"No, Diana it wasn't Agostino, it was his father, a ruthless man that we no longer have to worry about. " she explained calming me down.

I sat back letting myself cool off.

All the while Evelyn continued to talk
" He got killed a couple of years ago and ever since then Agostino has been in charge. He really did try to make changes to this place and ultimately he had given many people a choice to leave if the wanted to. He is a good man Diana, no matter if it may look otherwise."

"He gave you a choice but you're still here"I stated

"Yes. After working here and getting pretty comfortable I realised that I had nowhere to go and there was no point in it either. I was all alone and plus I get treated pretty well here."she pointed out.

"But what does that have to do with me and Agostino?" I asked confused

She smiled at me almost looking glad that I asked her this question.

"You are both driven by desire towards each other that has the potential of turning into something more which both of you seem to be scared of and all I did was try and help you. That's the similarity."

I shook my head at her " You're wrong. There may be lust between us but there can never be anything more. He has made it clear. Plus, remember no relationships allowed." I point out

Evelyn snorted unattractively " Where did you get that dumb rule?"

I pulled my eyebrows together in confusion " I signed a paper which had that rule and Agostino told me himself once."

"I have never even heard of that. Dom and Lola have a thing going on. Everyone knows about it and no one gives a shit" she looks to be thinking hard

"Wait- Lola is the ginger one right?" I asked remembering her on my first day here

"See? Even you know!" she exclaimed, glad about having been right

"I don't get it then" I point out "So you can have relationships?"

She only nodded her head.

I make a mental note of asking Agostino about this later tonight.

However before I can say anything further, I hear screaming and shouting taking over the whole building.

As Evelyn and I look at each other questioningly we hear doors slamming and gun shots in the air.

Next thing I know is us being surrounded by seven men dressed in black and carrying unnecessary large guns.

As I was about to make a move I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head and all I heard after that were only gunshots and shouts, some of which sounded a lot like Agostino.
*****
Please VOTE and comment telling me what you think!