VII • Reno

"Not My Intention"

Warning: None.

×××

She's brand new, sparkly like an unspoiled doll fresh out the box to Reno. He thinks she's cute, but doesn't seem to understand the subject for the life of her. He wants her. She feels his eyes on her, hair swinging slightly as her head turns to look at him. He turns on the charm, smiling widely at her.

"Struggling?" He says simply, her cheeks flush and she nods. "Want some help? I know the material pretty well."
"No thanks." She replies and turns back around, much to his surprise. 'The hell? Normally works like a charm' He thinks.

"You sure?" He asks over her shoulder and she flinches away from him, so he gives up. This is a new experience for Reno; rejection. It annoys him, but at the same time lights a determined fire within him. He will make her his, at whatever cost.

He sees her again in the cafeteria at lunch, he's already pretty far up in the line, about five people or so away from ordering. He watches as she eyes the queue, a disheartened look on her pretty face as she analyses the length of it. He waves at her, indicating to his spot in the line.
"C'mon." He calls over to her, but she shakes her head and walks off.

He is mildly irritated this time. What could have purely been an act of kindness, so easily brushed off.

Later on he is standing at his locker, retrieving his books that he will be needing for his homework. He gets the sensation he is being watched, and snaps his head instinctively in the direction of the perceived spy. It's her, but she looks away so fast that he only just catches her.
"Hey." He smiles, his voice confident, but she begins to walk away.

He won't let her slip through his fingers this time. He strides after her, catching up in a few seconds.
"Hey, is there any reason you're avoiding me like the plague?" He tries to sound lighthearted. Her eyes widen a little at his accusation, but she shrugs. She must just be shy. "I don't bite. I'm Reno." He holds a hand out for her to shake.

She hesitates, looking between his eyes and his hand as though the latter had been booby-trapped. Her eyes are so pretty, but the hints of fear in them bother Reno. She shouldn't be scared. He has an idea.

"(Name)." She replies quietly. She inhales sharply, then quickly takes hold of his hand and shakes it, before retracting it just as fast as she'd offered it.

Reno can't help but let a wide grin stretch across his face, her cheeks pinken the same strawberry sweet way they had back in class.
"See? Wasn't so bad." He chuckles and the left corner of her lips quirks up in the most miniature of smiles. 'God, she is fucking gorgeous.' He thinks to himself.

×××

Over the course of the new few days, Reno makes it his mission to get this girl to open up to him. He seeks her out during study period, sitting in the very back corner of the library and hands her a cushion to sit on. He doesn't interrupt her reading, he simply sits beside her and makes sure no one bothers her.

He guards her during the lunch rush, should he find her floundering amongst rough seas of students. He assures that no one pushes or shoves her, he stays at her side in the line so that no one dares barge in front of them. He shows her the way up to the roof, and picks the lock on the door so they can sit up there alone. Uninterrupted.

So of course when he sees her in the hallway chatting to a guy named Cid in his Biology, he sees red.

He approaches the two, dangerously calm. He tosses an arm over her shoulder, she jumps in surprise but freezes when she sees who it is.
"Any reason you're talking to (Name)?" He says to the Cid, smiling like a predator at his prey.