FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
( THE BEST UNCLE(S) )

IF THERE WAS ONE thing that was a constant throughout life, it would be the fact that people loved to spread false information and believe everything tiny thing

IF THERE WAS ONE thing that was a constant throughout life, it would be the fact that people loved to spread false information and believe everything tiny thing. Little kids play with toys and have those toys gossip about other toys that wronged them. Teenagers start rumors and gossip about people they don't like. Adults judge harshly and gossip about anything or anyone that seems to be in the wrong. People believe rumors and gossip so easily, almost in love with the idea of possible new scandals that weren't directly related to them in any way, shape, or form. Nick was quick to figure that out at the ripe of twelve when someone started a rumor that he was adopted just because his parents weren't the same race.

Really, though, he couldn't say much about how wrong gossiping and believing rumors were. Because he loved hearing about some scandal that happened between a sophomore and a senior, or who cheated on who, or who recently punched who, or who told off another student or teacher. The drama was amusing, to say the least – mostly because it wasn't his drama. Ever since the rumor about him being adopted cleared out, Nick went from hating kids around him starting (most likely fake) rumors to quickly jumping at the chance to talk about anything that might or might not have happened.

So, he wasn't surprised that the school was buzzing with stories and gossip from the weekend. More specifically, stories from Frank's party. As he sat down in his class, waiting for the teacher to show up and the tarty bell to ring, Nick could hear multiple different conversations and shocked explanations about who made our with who and what surprising thing happened. He put his chin in the palm of his hand and looked around. Almost everyone was in the classroom. Students were sitting on desks and standing around as they talked to their friends. He then glanced over to where Marty was, already passed out for the class period until he was forced to wake up by the teacher.

He really wanted the class to be over already so he could get lunch. Such a shame that it hasn't even started yet. Such a terrible thing that it was Algebra.

"...you hear about what happened?" Nick heard a girl ask behind him to whatever friend she was talking to.

"A lot of things happened, please elaborate."

"With Ben Parker?"

Nick perked up some, remembering how Peter had texted him something about his Aunt May and Uncle Ben Sunday morning. Nick had been so tired when he read it that he doesn't remember the text now, but it was something about some date the two were planning on later that night. It ended being that the text was for Ned Leeds, but Nick hadn't really minded – too half asleep to care. But now, he kinda did.

"The quiet kid's uncle?" The second girl questioned, "Peter, right? No, I don't..."

Nick leaned back in his seat so he could hear better and picked at a loose thread on his sweater so he wouldn't look too suspicious. His eyes moved to the door as someone walked in: Peter. His hoodie was pulled up over his head, which was lowered to where no one could really see his face. As Peter found his seat, he plopped down and let his bag fall to the floor before laying his head on his desk, crossed arms propping his head up.