FORTY-SIX

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
( SECOND CHANCES )

THE REST OF THE weekend was fun, for the most part

THE REST OF THE weekend was fun, for the most part. Nick and Peter hung out most of the time; other than when Nick had to go to karate class and when Peter had to meet up with his brother and aunt for dinner Saturday night, most of their time was spent together. They were catching up and spending time together, all the while ignoring their friends for the most part. Nick even stayed with him for a little bit when Peter had to go out and be Spider-Man for sometime.

Unfortunately, the entire time Nick just wanted to crawl into a hole and just hide away from everything because that feeling depressing numbness; Saturday morning, he just wanted to stay in bed, but Peter wanted to go and get breakfast at Evie's Bakery before Olivia started to man the register that morning and Nick didn't feel like disappointing Peter, so he forced himself to get out of bed. Nick forced himself to smile widely because he didn't want Peter worrying about him or knowing that he felt like he was dying on the inside. Karate class helped him bit but that feeling was still there. And Sunday morning started the same way but somehow he felt worse, though that didn't stop Nick from literally rolling out of bed and then meeting up with Peter once getting clothes on.

And then Monday. He woke up feeling exhausted despite having actually gone to bed at a decent time, and he felt as if he had no energy to get up and go to school. So, he faked being sick. Well, he didn't really fake it; he just lied and said that he had thrown up the night before to his dad, explaining that he didn't want to wake the man up so he cleaned everything up himself -- all the while hiding under the covers because the lights Dan turned on were giving him a headache. Dan took the lie and then left to work after Nick fell back asleep.

Around noon, he woke back up to missed calls and multiple messages from both of his best friends, Peter, and Olivia; he just texted them that he wasn't feeling well before putting his phone under his pillow as he sat up, noticing a warm cup of soup on his bedside table and a blue gatorade. Nick stared at the soup and the drink for a moment, already knowing who brought it up to his room but not really caring at the moment since he was more than hungry and had a headache still. When the headache didn't go away after eating, he threw on a hoodie and ventured downstairs in just that, boxer shorts and socks.

"Mom?" Nick called out, shielding his eyes from the light. "I think I have a migraine," he mumbled. He's gotten them a couple of times before from stress, so he wasn't any stranger to them. Didn't mean he was used to the pain and all that came with them.

Sharon instantly looked from the TV that was playing a true crime show and to her son. "I'm sorry, sweetie, let me see if there's any medicine," she said and instantly got up from the couch. As she passed him by, Nick took a step away. "You've only been stressed when you get them. Is school okay?"