THIRTY-NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
( "DO YOU NEED A HUG?" )

WARNING (?)—Frank uses "queer" in a very mean way

WARNING (?)—Frank uses "queer" in a very mean way. Idk if ppl will get uncomfortable reading that or not, so this a warning for that. It's about halfway down...ish. I'm not too sure. I'll put * before the paragraph where he uses it!

IT WAS TOO EARLY in the morning for anything; it was too early in the week for anything. Due to his friends trying to get him to make up a plan of sorts/ways to get Nick and Peter back together, and due to the fact he had a four page paper to write the night before that he hadn't even started, the teenager hadn't gotten much sleep at all. It didn't help that his mom tried calling him Sunday afternoon or that his dad tried to talk with him about the possible divorce; thoughts about both of parents plagued his mind as he tried to write the paper which made the process of getting it done and over with slower than needed. He didn't have time to make or get coffee, either, and he was ready to pass out at any given moment. Nick walked through the crowded hallway to get to his locker, dodging a drone or two and a little tiny robot that zoomed by his feet. It was nearing the middle of the semester and that meant some important projects were due soon, mid-terms will be given by the beginning of October, and then they have just a week or so until Homecoming, a few or so more weeks until Thanksgiving break, and then suddenly it'll be time to study for finals before Christmas break makes an appearance.

This school year, in Nick's opinion, was going by way too slow. He wanted it to be Christmas break already.

He got to his locker and smiled at the few cheerleaders huddled near it, only recognizing them because they were friends with Olivia, and they recognized him for the same reason. He rubbed at one eye as he opened his locker, and moved his backpack in front of him to put up whatever he didn't need, stuffing the books he did need into the backpack. Nick really wanted to be back in bed, or at least to have a cup of coffee in his hand, but alas he was stuck with neither. He shut his locker door, annoyed at nothing in particular, catching sight of Marty and Anita walking towards him.

And then – oh, boy – his eyes landed on Peter down the hallway talking to Mary Jane, the short redhead saying something with a bright smile before crumbling into a fit of laughter, Peter busting with laughter not even a second later. Nick rolled his eyes. He wasn't in the mood to look at Peter. Correction – he wasn't in the mood to look at Peter and Mary Jane be all smiles with one another, a pit of jealousy settling in him despite the fact that Nick knew Mary Jane had a huge crush on Richie Dickerson. Or Harry Osborn. He couldn't remember which.

"Well, someone's obviously jealous," Marty said once he glanced over his shoulder to see what Nick had rolled his eyes at. The taller teen's tone was mostly teasing, and if that did give it away, the smile he wore.