III.

~First Person Point of View~

Cleaning up wasn't so hard. A shower did wonders for me. Got all the dirt and grime from the previous four days off. And it was actually warm for the first ten minutes. I was just having a lucky day it seemed.

I didn't change my clothes much, only my shirt and underwear. I only had three pairs of pants, I needed to save them best I could. I didn't have makeup-didn't really like it anyway-and my hair was fine. So I was ready to go.

I figured that I'd have time to kill, but I forgot that my walk home had been much longer that day. With all the people everywhere, either coming in with the royals or just out and about, I had to take the long route home. It helped me do what Blitz said though, keep to the alleys. I didn't run into anyone, guards or otherwise, so I thought I was safe.

I pulled on my coat and stuck on my hat, I surveyed my little apartment, making sure I had everything. It wasn't hard. The place just had a bed on the one wall, kitchen on that same side, and I was in the living room/dining area. There was nothing in the bathroom, so I was set. I opened up the door and after shutting off the lights, closed it behind me.

I didn't bother to lock it this time. I lived in a safe enough complex. We all trusted each other pretty well. Besides, there was nothing good to steal. Everyone was dirt poor. You'd just be stealing, well, someone else's dirt. There wasn't any point.

The hallway was warm and roaring with life, most everyone left their doors open. We were close like that there. Each door I passed had another activity going one. Families eating dinner, bonding over card games, or just laughing and carrying on. Good. It was always nice to see some happiness in such a seemingly bleak world. I made it to the end of the hall and descended the stairs before heading out the main doors.

It was a crisp night out, snow had started to fall. The streets were a buzz of activity, much like inside. It seemed everyone was preparing for the festival... that was months away. Four to be precise, which is even worse than three. Doesn't matter to me now, I don't have to listen to the talk or get forced into any activity-until the actual festival that is-I'm a free woman. I could have hibernate in my apartment for the next sixteen weeks if I wanted. And believe me, I was tempted.

I checked my pocket, making sure the small amount of credits I had put there still resided within. I'd hidden the rest of them at home with my other stash. This would be enough for some drinks and also a little extra just in case.

The walk to Skinner's wasn't terrible, I'd learned to navigate the festival traffic a while back. It was serene. The warmth from the streetlights, the chatter from groups of friends walking about. Sure, things would go back to normal after the festival, but it was nice for now.

I made it outside of the bar, hearing noise inside already. Place would be busy day in and day out if people could afford it. It had always been a big gathering place in the community, even if you weren't an avid drinker. Hell I think the local Ladies Club held meetings here on Thursdays.

I walked in and looked around for Blitz. No luck. I decided to order then head to a booth. Sliding in, I leaned back and sighed. What a day. Lost my job, made a friend, now I was sitting there preparing to drink my problems away. I peaked outside and saw the snow is falling steadily now. Not surprising, it'd be snowing everyday until late spring. And even then it'd be cloudy and cold all year.

The drinks came, and Blitz still hadn't shown. I took a guess of one of two things. He ran into trouble, or he just wasn't going to come. I figured it be the former than the later, I was still unsure on what happened earlier that day. There was something going on there between him and those guards. Just couldn't put my finger on what.