Taking a Walk

Ash's POV-

Lillie turned her head and stared at me for a few seconds before nodding. "Alright, what do you wanna ask?" She questioned.

I leaned my head side to side as I contemplated what to ask. 

"Well, I guess I'll start with something basic. What's your favorite color?" I chuckled as I asked.

Lillie fixed me with a look of mild amusement. "well I...honestly don't know. No one really care's enough to ask simple things like that." She quietly responded.

I grimaced momentarily when I heard this. "So that's what it's been like for her..no wonder she never talks to anyone." I thought to myself.

"Though if I had to choose...I'd have to say...green would be my favorite color." Lillie continued.

I nodded. "Good choice, though, mine would have to be blue." I said.

Lillie smiled at me. "Blue is nice too." She said.

"Yeah, it is." I responded.

I glanced over at Lillie as we walked. Her head was down, like she was thinking about something. "So what do you usally do for fun?" I asked her.

Lillie stayed silent for a minute or two, a quiet and thoughtful hum emanating from her.

"Really the only things I can do at home is read, and watch Pokemon play around outside the manor." She answered.

I nodded in understanding. "Well, time to start asking the real questions." I silently told myself.

I took a deep breath before looking over at Lillie.

Only to find her looking back at me. "Hey Ash, can I ask you a question?" Lillie asked.

"Oh, uh yeah, go ahead." I responded with mild suprise.

"Why did you come to Alola, why attend a school if you've been through six regions?" She asked me.

I sighed and put my hands behind my head. "I've...been in six different leagues over the course of my travels. I haven't been the victor in any of them, and the closest I have come to winning is runner up. After my last go at trying to win a league, I realized that I still had a lot left to learn." I said.

"It's demoralizing, being in six different leagues and not winning any of them...I try to not think about it too often." I continued with a bittersweet smile.

Lillie fixed me with a curious gaze. "But wouldn't you have learned all you'd need to know?" She asked.

I chuckled and shook my head. "You of all people should know, you're never really done learning." I replied.

Lillie nodded after a few seconds. "Yeah...I guess you're right." She said.

We kept walking for another twenty minutes, talking the whole way. The subjects ranging from favorite foods, to favorite kinds of music. 

A few minutes of silence followed afterwards, until I finally spoke up. 

"So Lillie...Why did you come to school covered in bruises?" I tentatively asked.

Lillie's cheerful expression turned to one of slight panic. "W-what do you mean, I-I f-fell down the stairs, remember?" Lillie responded, a nervous laugh following closely after.

"Lillie, I'm not stupid... I've fallen down stairs plenty of times, they don't leave those kinds of bruises." I responded.

"I-I don't really wanna talk about it." She said, averting her gaze so I couldn't see her face.