Prologue

Chara's P.O.V.

Long ago, two races ruled over earth: humans and monsters. One day, war broke out between the two races. After a long battle, the humans were victorious. They sealed the monsters underground with a magic spell.

These words echoed through my mind as I, once more, died by that comedian. I saw the floating yellow buttons labelled RESET and CONTINUE appear by me. I pressed continue without a second thought.

"What keeps you going, comedian?" I asked, for once thoroughly confused. He knew eventually he was going to die. So where did this newfound energy and anger come from?

He just stared at me from across the hall, that stupid grin on his skull only seeming to get bigger.

"heh," he chuckled. "so it's only now ya want to talk?" His eye sockets were empty, the little bobs of light that were usually there were gone, but that didn't faze me. He's done it about a million times already. "fine. i know i'm going to die, but i can sense your struggle. there's somethin' deep inside ya tryin' to get out."

That took me by surprise. I had halted my attack to ask a simple and stupid question, and he didn't take the chance to kill me. And he even replied to it.

"I could end this suffering of yours," I said, running my fingers along the edge of my knife.

"then you would just reset and kill us all, over and over again. the same pattern that has happened for the past twenty timelines."

"And yet you do nothing about it, Sans. You don't try to prevent your brother's death. Hell, you barely try at anything until you feel like it is your job to do something. Yet we all know how bad you are at your jobs." I looked over to the right as the fight menu appeared in front of me, everything growing dimmer and losing saturation.

"So what if he's a little lazy?" Frisk asked, her ghostly body turned away from the both of them.

"If he wasn't lazy at all, and actually thought everything out, then maybe he would've learned by now," I replied angrily, dashing forward, trying to hit my foe all the while trying to avoid his attacks. I could tell that they were affected by his new sense of hate. The bone attacks were faster and his "Gaster blasters" came in more numbers.

Our battle went on for about an hour, each of us with the same plan: to kill the other. Every moment when my mind wasn't clouded by the heat of battle, I would think, Why isn't he tired yet?! and Frisk would reply with something stupid like, "Maybe he somehow managed to become stronger than you. Can we please reset?"

"Can you just shut up, Frisk!?" I shouted to her. The skeleton finally got tired, but I couldn't attack when all my anger was directed towards my annoying "partner."

"Why?" she asked, turning to me, and continued before I could say anything. "I thought you were good at ignoring the outside world in order to focus on your own goal."

"Well it's hard to when you're stuck with me and keep bothering me!"

"Well, I have no choice but to. You can't kill me because it's my soul, and I can't kill you because you are currently controlling my body."

"If you want your body back so badly then why haven't you said anything?"

"What do you think I've been saying when I bring up resetting? And why do you care all of a sudden?"

"Fine! I'll give you back your happy ending!" For a moment I wondered what I was doing, but when I looked at Frisk, her face full of shock and disbelief, I knew it was somehow right. "And don't bring this up to anyone. Not Azzy, not your boyfriend, and don't even remind me of this."

"Sure, Char- wait, did you say boyfriend!?" I could see her face light up from embarrassment even in this light.

"Do you think I can't see and feel how you feel about that comedian?" I said, pointing over at Sans. "Your love for him is stronger than my control. I feel your flutters of excitement and nervousness whenever we come across him." I glanced back at Sans and saw bones come jutting out of the ground, which were advancing toward my immobile body.

"Chara you're going to die if you don-"

"That's the plan. It's the only way to reset, remember?" I pulled myself back to reality and instantly felt a sharp and sudden pain as bones skewered my body. I felt myself weaken as blood pooled out of the wounds. I smiled a little, somehow feeling good by giving up my goal for my sister's happiness. "Have fun in the next run, Sans," I said to the dumb-founded skeleton. "Many things will change, but you won't have to physically go through this torture."

"what?" I heard him say before everything went black, and then lit up once more as the buttons to Continue and Reset appeared before me and Frisk. We both pressed Reset in one swift movement, and were enveloped in a bright, white light.