Chapter 13

Chara's P.O.V

"What kind of weapons are those?!" Flowey shouted, trying to be heard above loud noises. We - me, Flowey, Mom, Dad, the fish lady, and the tall skeleton - were all taking cover behind trees that lined along the edge of the dip of the mountain leading to the entrance to the Underground. The branches were almost stripped bare of leaves from the approaching winter weather.

"Why are you asking me!?" I shouted back to him. "I died with you, Azzy! Before these types of weapons were created! And I decided it wasn't worth it to probe Frisk's memories to see how things have changed!"

All of a sudden, something large was fired, and exploded just above the cave entrance. I covered my face with my arm, to keep any dirt from getting into my eyes, and held Flowey's pot in my other arm close.

Once my ears stopped ringing, I realized that the noise had stopped. Instead, I heard footsteps coming toward us, then stop.

"Papyrus!" Undyne shouted from somewhere to my right. The dust prevented me from seeing too clearly. However, by her voice, I could tell she was struggling with something. "You can't go back there with those humans still around!"

"BUT SANS, FRISK, ALPHYS, AND METTATON ARE STILL IN THERE!" he shouted back.

"Hand over Frisk and the other human or we will open fire!" an angry, commanding voice ordered.

"And why should I go with the humans that tried to kill me?" I responded, noticing that the dust was settling. I glanced behind me and saw Sans and Frisk emerge from the entrance.

Thank god it didn't cave in, I thought, letting out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I hurried toward the couple - as much as I hate to say it - and saw everyone else do the same.

"Frisk, are you okay?!" Flowey and I exploded simultaneously once I reached them. Behind them I could see a hesitant Alphys and a worried Mettaton.

"Yeah," she responded. "We were far enough away not to get hurt by anything. Are you guys okay? I heard gunfire."

"Is that what that sound was?" I asked, but before I could get a response, Papyrus' happy yelling erupted as he swept his brother into his bony arms.

"BROTHER! THANK ASGORE YOU'RE ALIVE AND ALRIGHT!"

"heh, don't worry bro," Sans replied, grinning happily. "a little dust won't kill me."

I could tell that was meant to be a joke, since he didn't have any lungs as a skeleton, but the way he said dust caused the mood to change around me and my siblings. Thinking about it, I think it was only to be aimed at me and Flowey, but the killing wasn't my fault at the beginning. That was all Frisk.

I felt regret, guilt, anger, satisfaction, and the urge to hit something overwhelm me as I remembered all those genocide runs.

"oops," he whispered as Papyrus let him down. The taller skeleton was instantly toppled over by Mettaton.

"Papy! Thank goodness your safe, darling~!"

"OF COURSE I'M ALRIGHT, METTATON. THE GREAT PAPYRUS CANNOT BE BESTED BY MERE HUMANS. ALTHOUGH HUMAN FRISK MIGHT BE AN EXCEPTION."

"My children," Mom said, coming up to us with Dad behind her. "Are you-"

"Excuse me!" the commanding voice interrupted. I turned around and saw a tall, young man, with what seemed like a large team behind him. All of them seemed to be dressed in clothing in shades of green, brown, and gray, and equipped with some sort of weapon that had caused the noise Frisk had described as "gunfire."