IX

Abandoning our previous thoughts of fleeing to safety away from the dangers of what was going on behind us, Malakei and I found ourselves running against the crowd and straight towards the heart of the action; to the center where we knew the action was taking place.

My heart beat loudly in my chest as my legs pumped through crowds, going faster and faster as my legs could carry me to get to them; my family.

My father.

Bow.

Raen.

They were here. They had to be. As I got closer the more I could feel it in my bones that they were here and looking for me. My strength seemed to increase as I grew closer to the center and I knew right then that Baja was here somewhere. I could feel it.

Baja was here and I needed to get to her.

After several moments of navigating through alleys and backways, we eventually broke out into a clearing of pavement, slowly being splattered with both Dry Lander and Sky Laner blood. I stopped and looked up in time to grab Malakei, pulling him to the ground in order to avoid an arrow to the heart.

As I glanced up through my eyelashes at the scene before me, I took in the attire of both rivalries. The expensive and clean look of the gold uniformed Sky Laner soldiers contrasting against the man-made painted bodily symbols and fur coat covered Dry Landers. The black paint they had on their bare bodies and faces sent memories of when they raided the High Peaks in the night, many moons ago. This situation was no different only that it was day. The Sky Laners saw them coming and they were not afraid. They were prepared somehow.

I found myself looking for a certain Dry Lander before that became three Dry Landers and a black panther. Everything was moving so fast that I couldn't keep up with the clang of swords and throwing of axes.

"Key!"

I turn my head as Malakei throws me a sword, one already in his hand and him having taken them from the dead soldiers lying before us. I swiftly catch mine as he swings his testingly. Seeing as no one was attacking us, I found it odd. I didn't know if it was because of our Sky Laner attire or that they knew us. They couldn't have. Even Malakei who was a Dry Lander-was being neglected from the fighting. Now was the time to change the dynamics entirely.

I spotted a young Dry Lander being attacked by two gold soldiers. Overpowering the young Dry Lander who threatened them with his axe held high over his head, eyes shifting to both as he contemplated on who to kill first. I swooped in quickly and began clashing swords with one of them as Malakei took to fighting with the other soldier.

I won the upper hand shortly and stabbed the Sky Laner in the side, hating the feeling of betrayal that coursed through me but knowing that when it came to it, I was protecting my family and friends. I was a Dry Lander. No matter what riches the Gods throw at me or tell me differently. I will always be a Dry Lander.

I didn't register someone grabbing me from behind and lifting me up into the air with a grunt before hurling me to the side. I hit the pavement hard and for a moment I'm dazed as I come to my senses, picking myself up slowly. I underestimated how weak and wounded I really was. I was still healing from being starved and beaten to death only days ago. My senses and coordination were sloppy.

I spot a dagger close to me and quickly grab it as I feel a body hovering over me. With adrenaline, I turn onto my back, my legs shooting up to curl around the soldiers neck and pull him down to the ground. As soon as he is hitting the ground, I push myself up using the weight around my legs, squeezing the soldier's neck in the process as I pin him to the ground. Shoving the dagger into the side of his throat before pulling it out.