XXXVII

"You look different."

I look up at Nate who was already looking at me curiously, he immediately averts his gaze and I raise a brow at him.

"Different how?" I question and he shrugs.

"I don't know." He says fiddling with the salt container on the table.

I wait a few moments, staring at him curiously but when he says no more I roll my eyes and continue eating my porridge, Baja already finished hers at my side below the breakfast bench.

"You going to be at the party Friday?" Nate questions curiously and I shovel porridge into my mouth, nodding as I swallow.

"The one where we meet our neighbours, say hello and party?"

"You could say that." Nate chuckles at this and rips his bread, looking up at me with a smile before stuffing it in his mouth.

"It's not as simple as that though. Your family is who they want to see. They couldn't care less about us." Nate says offhandedly and I stop eating to listen, This was the first I've really heard what was going to happen Friday.

"My family?" I question him and he nods looking up.

"More specifically, you." He eats another slice of bread. "They want to thank the hero's who saved Gonora and then party."

"Who are they?" I question curiously.

"They're called Desert Farmers." Nate says. "Widely known on the Dry Lands. They live on the hottest part of the land. Where the sun burns the ground they walk on. Some say they cover themselves from the sun because their skin is forever scorched and red."

"Sounds similar to the people in Marbeya, they also cover their body from the sun." I say and Nate shakes his head.

"That's different, it was once culture that has now become their fashion to purchase expensive scarves. The Desert Farmers don't cover for the same reason, sometimes I think they wear all of those layers to hide what is underneath."

"What's underneath?" I question curiously as Nate eyes the people around us momentarily before looking back at me seriously, ushering me closer.

I move closer to him and he goes to whisper in my ear, the anticipation making my brows knit together.

"Boo!" Nate bellows in my ear making me jump back in fright as he cackles loudly, clapping his hands in amusement at my fear. My eyes narrow and I quickly reach forward and slap his arm.

"You idiot! I thought you were serious."

"You were so scared." Nate chuckles and I roll my eyes as he struggles to breath through his laughter.

I roll my eyes at his foolishness and get up from the table, Nate notices and his arm immediately darts out to grab my wrist.

"Hey, I was only joking-"

"Let me go already asshole." I groan and he chuckles.

"Take a joke lemon-"

"He said let him go Nate."

I turn around at Malakei's voice to see him with a tight jaw and narrowed eyes set on Nate.

Nate immediately lets go and I turn around to see him with an amused smile on his features as he nods at Malakei. I furrow my brows at him.

I feel Malakei come closer and turn to him when he's at my side.

"You finished breakfast?" He questions me as he pets Baja who rolls on her stomach and mewls.