XVII

Malakei and I watched from our lunch table as some soldiers and Dry Landers helped to clear the benches for the big party tonight. It was Friday. The dreaded day had finally arrived.

Malakei slapped my arm which startled me out of my daze, making me turn to look at him with a furrowed brow as I rub my arm. Malakei only chuckles.

"You've been in a daze for the past few minutes. Why don't you go over there and make yourself useful Mr. Muscle?"

I snort at that and bring my fork down to my plate which consisted of cold turkey, broccoli and carrot sticks. A chamomile tea beside me. Malakei's plate was the opposite of mine. He had a chicken sandwich with fries and a beer beside him. Malakei's way of building weight to get back his exterior was eating high carb foods that aren't necessarily good for you but will help you gain fat. So far he was doing well but he told me it wouldn't last, only until he got back to his original weight would he stop. He has been practicing his battle stances everyday and jogging to burn excess calories.

My mission was to get to a healthy weight and not have the body of a twelve year old boy. I don't think I could ever be as Malakei liked to call 'ripped', the furthest I could get would be toned with some muscle, nothing major and that's about it.

"Yeah right." I roll my eyes at him and stab a carrot. Shoving the vegetable into my mouth before holding up my sleeveless arm to him.

"D'you see dis?" I speak through a mouthful of vegetables and Malakei chuckles at me. Eyes crinkling at the sides.

"What do you think I am, blind? Of course I see your muscles. You don't need to show off to me Key." He rolls his eyes and I swallow my food.

"I'm not showing off because there's nothing there. Just because I can't fit my hand around my arm anymore means nothing. I'm not ripped and I don't have muscle." I grumbled looking down. I can hear Malakei sigh before he is leaning forward.

"Hey.." He whispers and I look up at him through my lashes with a frown.

"I'm sorry kiddo. I didn't mean to upset you. I'm just trying to make you laugh and cheer you up a bit. You're doing great ok? I've probably said this to you a thousand times already but I'm proud of you yeah? You don't need muscle to be strong. You look good without it anyways."

I stare at him unsure as I twiddle my fork in my hand before sighing and looking down.

"Thanks Mal."

He leans back in his seat.

"Especially in that shirt." He mumbles quietly under his breath and I had to strain to hear it but when I did my ears twitched uncontrollably. Blushing as I looked up with furrowed brows. Malakei seemed to freeze up, eyes popping out of his skull at the realisation I heard him.

"W-What's wrong with my shirt?"

I question flustered as I look down with furrowed brows to see if there was a stain on it or a tear. Suddenly feeling embarrassed as I bring my hands up my chest to hide whatever was drawing attention to it but it was a pale blue sleeveless shirt. Nothing fancy only that it wasn't swimming on me like before. It hugged my chest just to the point where I still had room to move freely without being trapped.

"N-Nothing!" Malakei stutters and my eyes fly up to his in worry but he blinks in surprise.

"I-I uhm..it just looks good on you today. How a...a shirt is made to look-when you wear it. It's just a shirt. The colour is nice?" He questions before looking down wide eyed at his plate and shoving fries into his mouth. He holds a bunch out to me.