XXXII

I scream through the pain in my chest and body, everywhere was on fire before a hollow feeling entered and made its home in my chest.

I didn't feel anything, all I felt was a numbness as my hand slipped further to the edge of the platform.

Why couldn't I let go?

As my broken hand clings to the edge, it snaps again and a fluttering in my stomach emerges as the thought of falling through the air hits me.

So this is how I die; alone and in pain.

I never get the chance to fall however as a bloody hand is reaching forward and clasping my hand, another clasping around my upper arm painfully making me cry out as I'm being lifted up and over the edge by someone.

They grunt as they lift me up, once I'm lying over the edge they scuttle backwards as the concrete cracks loudly and pulls me over them just as the platform finally gives out and crumbles before us.

I groan in pain while whoever it was brings a hand to my back and rubs soothing circles in assurance. I go to get up but my limbs finally give out and I collapse on my saviour, the world turning dark as I knock out like a light.

I wake up in a tent.

Groaning quietly in my sleep as I shift on the mattress. I slowly blink away the sleep from my eyes. Expecting sunshine to be pouring in through the window of my room but when the sudden realisation of not being safe in my room, I'm bolting upright in panic-

"Woah-"

I jump at a hand on my shoulder and look at Bow with blinking confusion before memories begin to replay themselves in my mind and I can't help stumbling out of the makeshift bed and to the side, wrenching the contents of my stomach.

"It's alright Key." My brother's hand is on my shoulder as he rubs gently. When I'm finished throwing up, my hands bury in my face as I hiccup and sob.

I can hear him sniffle from behind me before he's sinking down to his knees and hugging my side, his head resting on my shoulder as he too hiccups in sorrow.

"I'm so sorry Keylin. I'm so sorry." He cries into my shoulder and I bring my hands away from my face as I bite my trembling lip.

"You're safe now, that's all that matters."

"W-Where.." I clear my scratchy throat and Bow rubs my shoulder assuringly.

"We're in a military base camp." He says quietly. "They set it up on platform 2 before...before blowing 1."

My eyes widen as I bring my (now noticing) un-bandaged hand to my mouth, tears again falling from my eyes before I take a shaky breath, removing my hand and nodding.

"The refugees are all here and so are the people we managed to rescue from platform 1." He says trying to lighten my mood but I don't react and nod silently.

"Max and his brothers..they're here too."

My eyes narrow at this and I turn to him.

"Are you out of your mind?" I question lowly. "Do you not realise how dangerous that is keeping them here?"

Bow bites his lip and frowns at me before nodding and opening his mouth to speak.

"Vixen has them contained, they can't get out." He explains and the thought of the witch makes my blood run cold.

"Leave him."

"Key?" Bow questions and I run my hand through my hair shakily.

"They're...they're going to be burnt at the stake tonight. The Gods want you to be there."