Chapter 4

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 4 -
A Walk To Be Unidentified
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

"One, Two, THREE.” Varian counted and you both jumped, throwing a shirt over the clothes line.

Varian chuckled while panting, “Last one. Wooh!” He falls backwards onto the grass with his goggles slipping off.

You pant and look down the long line of clothes that gently moved from a light breeze. The clothes line was high so you and Varian had to jump up and throw the clothes over. One thing's for sure…….you hated physical activities, but at least this was to help someone.

You sat beside Varian and both of you just stare at the sky. There were no clouds, but there were wisps of white here and there. Very peaceful and relaxing as your eyes close and you take a deep breath in.

Something small tickle on your cheek made you scratch that spot. Suddenly something felt like it was in your ear and you screech in panic, slapping at your ear.

Varian laughs, holding a blade of grass in his hand. You growl silently and shove his arm, “Varian!”

He laughs, “I didn't do anything, what makes you think I did it?”

You raise a brow at him, then laugh lightly, “Exactly. I didn't.”

Varian gets up and places his hands on his waist, “Now off to the next chore!”

You groan in your head because Varian seemed to recover fairly quickly and now you have to move.

The rest of Varian’s chores weren't too much work and by the time it's all done, you're back in the lab. Let's just say, Varian had gotten lost in his work again and this time it was very entertaining to watch him. Especially when he was talking to himself and basically in his own world.

Varian stretches and notices that it's twilight outside. “(____)?” His eyes gaze softly at your sleeping form. Right at that time, Quirin comes in and Varian signals his dad to be quiet. They both stay quiet as Quirin carries you down the steps and into his room. They decided have a light dinner so it doesn't wake you up.

A circular window with a red tint rose up and the red light shined down onto you in the black void. A shadow appears behind that window as Varian's voice yells angrily and held so much betrayal.

“You said you'll always be there for me. YOU PROMISED, you'd HELP ME!”

You feel like your being crushed as Varian is a little clear and he glares coldly, “You just made me relive the pain again.”

You open your eyes, feeling your heart beating rapidly and you just stare at the wall. Slowly, you sit up and rub your hands slightly tearing. Why do you now feel like you've done something wrong? Something that was very stupid. It felt like you disappointed Varian beyond belief.

It didn't take long, but you had breakfast with Varian and Quirin before they got their satchels ready to go. You stayed close to Varian as Quirin asked the village if they recognize you, unfortunately no one did. So you three began a long walk to the castle, well a kingdom which you have no clue about the name. You don't even know the location names of anything.

Along the way, Quirin decided to stop at a place called the Snuggly Duckling and told you and Varian to stay close. Again, no one recognized you and there was no trouble especially with that place full of thugs. Though there was this small old man;

“Iiiiiii remember you. All those times you shared with me, ME these colorful beans and they tasted sooooo good. Or was it fish. That reminds me! I saved a fish once-”

Yes, he really out of it and everyone just said he was crazy. So you guys left and continued on until you spotted a long bricked bridge. That's when you seen the big castle and the homes surrounding it. The ocean was there too. The kingdom was like it's own island. There were lots of people everywhere and you felt anxious.

Quirin feels a hand grab his and he looks down at you. You're holding onto his and Varian's hand tightly. He began to ask around after smiling softly at you, “Excuse me, I'm sorry to intrude but do you recognize this Little Lady?”

“No.”

“I'm so sorry, but I don't.”

“Nope, never seen her around here before.”

All no’s and no maybe’s. Now you feel like you don't belong here and to make it worse, some of the people had mean things to say. Mainly about being called another orphan scum. That hurt because they judged too quickly and luckily Quirin deafened you.

“You two stay close to each other, got it? I need to talk to a friend that’s at the blacksmith.” Quirin said, looking between you and Varian.

The two of you were sitting at the fountain when Varian's dad left. Varian sighs boredly and you take in every detail around you. The guards with golden armor that has a sun symbol on them, the shops, and different people walking around. Something did catch your attention down one of the paths. Monty's Sweet Shoppe.

Varian glances at you and his eyes widen. You weren't beside him. “Everytime I'm not looking.” He scans the area and immediately spots you.

In the window, you gently peer in to examine the replica of the castle. You frown, thinking again which made you feel pain in your head. Your eyes move to the inside and see variety of sweets, one in particular were the jars. “Colorful Beans.” You mumble, thinking back to the crazy old man. “He was talking about Jelly Beans.”

“(____)! Don't take off like that. You could get lost, you know. Or maybe KIDNAPPED! Have you ever thought of that before going off on your own?”

You turn to Varian as he began to name off possible dangers of walking off without him. The way he was exaggerating right now made you smile because he cared about what happened to you. “Varian. I'm fine. You're with me now.”

Varian takes in a deep breath, “You're right.” He smiles sheepishly, “Sorry, I just don't want to lose you.”

Quirin spots you two and waves to come to him. Varian takes your hand and runs over.

The castle was getting closer and the walls that mainly surrounded it. For some reason, you were feeling a bit scared especially with all the guards inside. Then there was the possibility you might run into whoever runs this kingdom. You gulped as a guard stopped you three at the doors.

“State your business.”

“I am here to speak with the King about VERY important matters.”