Chapter 32

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 32 -
Varian’s Small Reminiscence
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Varian had shown you the five giant machines under his village and you have to say, it was amazing. Sure, Quirin doesn't know, but if he saw what use these things can do for the village, then he'd be impressed by Varian.

You hum a random tune while walking with Varian underground as he holds a lantern. “They all are in check. No problems.” He goes up to a machine and gently taps the pressure meter.

“That's great! I’m impressed you got all this done in a few months, Varian.” You say and glance around.

“Yeah.” He turns to you, frowning a little. “I'm still sorry I didn't send any letters during that time. I wanted to get these done on time.”

You smile softly and hug Varian’s side, “Varian, it's okay. I mean I was really worried and…. A bit mad, buf more worried.”

He wraps an arm around you, while you two walk back toward the way back out. “Still.” He blows out the lantern and climbs up the ladder.

You sigh and look at the machine’s glow from around the corner of the cavern.

“(____)? You alright?” Varian calls from above.

“I'm fine.” You call back and climb up.

Varian holds out his gloved hand and you take it while being pulled up. “So…..do you want to go on a walk?” Varian asks, grinning.

“A nice, non-dangerous walk?” You say playfully.

Varian laughs lightly, “A CASUAL walk.”

You two walk down the dirt path and kick a small pebble back and forth to each other. There was no conversation and you two were content with that.

“Why would a triangle shaped sandwich taste better than a square one?”

Varian raises a brow at your random question, “Are you asking me?”

You hum and speak sarcastically, “No, I was asking the boy walking next to me.”

He rolls his eyes, smiling, “Well if you want my answer, the triangular shape allows for maximum exposure to flavors due to the increased surface area of its more flavorful ingredients.”

You listen and grin as he starts turning to a smarty pants.

“Plus. It's a fact even in science and math, basically everything, that triangles are the strongest shape.” He smiles and kicks the pebble into a bush, “Because any added force is evenly spread through all three sides.”

“Wow. You should've been my teacher, Mr. Genius Brain.” You smirk and laugh.

Varian’s cheeks flush lightly and he shrugs, smiling sheepishly, “Nah. I wouldn't be good as a teacher, I mean if you need help with anything, I'm up for teaching.”

You giggle softly and look up at the leaves above you two. The sun peeking through to leave a sunlit and faint shadow design on the path.

“Does it make a person an idiot when he says positive?.” You stated.

“No. Everyone says positive when they agree to things.”

You try to hold back a laugh, “Not everyone.”

Varian chuckles, “I'm sure everyone says positive.”

“You sure?” You look at him and snicker as Varian crosses his arm, seeming determined about his answer.