Chapter 21

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 21 -
A Sting That Will Never Leave
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Someone is singing an incantation. It seems far off and the weird thing is…...it's not the same one Rapunzel sang. The melody is different and the words are muffled like you're in an enclosed room.

Darkness again as it always goes. You didn't like it, but the golden light scared you more with it's sudden brightness.

Your eyes open slightly and you look around the slightly familiar room. This time when you woke up, you did remember what happened. You and Eugene saved Rapunzel from Gothel.

Though why were you in Quirin’s room? Sitting up, you feel your head is bandaged again but what hurts most is your side. You took in a painful breath and pull up your shirt to see your middle covered in bandages.

The door opens as a very tired and familiar boy comes in. He has his journal in his hands and he just stares at you, seeming to not believe that you're sitting up.

“Varian?” You spoke with a hoarse voice.

Varian drops his journal and runs up to hug you, but stops mid way. “(____)! I desperately want to hug you, but you're hurt.” He stands and paces next to the bed.

“You scared me! To the point where I wanted to find a way to wake you up!” His voice slowly rises as he spoke in lots of worry, possibly stress.

“Dad found you out in the field last night! After that Raccoon started making a ruckus and chased it outside! When Dad brought you in, I just-..... WHAT HAPPENED?!” He turned to you, panting.

You rubbed your temples. So far, you're getting used to being confused all the time, but you hated when your head hurt during it all. “What do you mean I was out in the field?”

Varian sighs and gets your glasses off a shelf, handing it to you. “It's exactly what I said. Dad said he found you out there and patched you up. You were hurt badly and you didn't wake up for a week.”

“Varian. All I can remember is helping Eugene save Rapunzel.”

Varian stares at you, “You helped save the Lost Princess?”

You nod then sigh, “Varian, there is so much going on. Sometimes I can't keep up and all I'm gonna try to do is stay with what's happening now.” You thought back and wondered what Gothel was talking about.

Varian gazes at you softly then sighs, scooting closer, “Okay. Let's just focus on what's happening now and start with your wrappings.”

He helps you turn so your legs hang off the bed and he grimaces at the wound after undoing the wrappings, “Well it's starting to swell again.”

You watch him go over to a table and pick up a jar with some sort of turquoise stuff in it. He takes off his gloves and scoops out the puffy substance, “I made this a few days ago and it worked perfectly on wounds animals had.”

“Varian, don't tell me this stuff hasn't been used on human wounds.”

Varian just smiles a bit, then frowns, “I know this will work, (____). The ingredients were rare to gather and I made sure my work was all positive. Please.”

You stared away as Varian gently applies the stuff onto your wound and instantly you didn't feel pain.

Varian sits back and grins proudly, “See! All better.”

Your hand goes over where your wound was and all you felt is a scar. “Varian, this is amazing! Thank you.” You smile at him.

He waves a hand, chuckling, “It's no big deal. It's all a part of Alchemy!”

In the doorway, Quirin stands there and he held a stare that he was secretly angry. Varian grins and goes over, “Dad! (____)’s awake and I helped heal her wound with-”

“Varian, I need to talk with (____) for a few minutes. Alone.”

You don't know why but you gulped, a bit scared at Quirin’s tone of voice. Varian wanted to protest, but kept his mouth shut and looks back at you confused. You shrug and Varian walks out, hesitant about leaving you.

Quirin waits for Varian to go around the corner before closing the bedroom door. He sits next to you and sighs deeply, “You wouldn't stay away from Varian even if I told you to, correct?”

You got a tad bit irritated and confused at what he said, “I wouldn't. Why would you say that?”

“I'm trying to keep Varian safe is all. From ALL of it.” Quirin holds his left gloved hand, glaring at the floor.

“Quirin, you know you can't always keep Varian from everything. He has to learn and experience things in order for him to be ready for whatever he's….possibly destined for.”

“I know! I just don't want him-” He stops himself and runs a hand over his head, “I don't want my son involved in what I have been through.”

“Quirin, what is it that you're keeping from him?” You say seriously and glare slightly. “What is so dangerous about not letting him do whatever he wants? Why do you even want me to stay away?”

“YOU! You're dangerous because I have an idea where you came from and at first I didn't want to believe it, but now after all that's happened with you around…..” Quirin clenches his fist and glares at you, almost like he's blaming you for something.

You felt guilty again for some reason and you also felt hurt and scared that he was looking at you like that. “What do you mean?”

“I'm meant to protect everyone, especially my only son.” He stands, “So it's best that Varian doesn't ever know and neither do you. All I ask of you is try to keep your distance from Varian.”

You stand up when he walks toward the door, “Quirin, you're not making ANY sense! Tell me something, please?” You begged and felt your head hurting, “I will never stay away from Varian! I made a promise and I will keep it no matter what.”

Quirin looks at you, your eyes starting glistening from forming tears and he actually felt bad for saying it.

“(____)......if you want me to tell you something, then fine, but don't dare tell Varian about our conversation.”

He takes a heavy breath then says something before walking out, not wanting to see your reaction.

Your eyes widen in shock and you sat down, staring at the door. Your breathing became heavy and can't believe what he just said. Tears fell down your face, not seeming to stop and you couldn't help, but cry. You actually looked up to Quirin as someone close, but now it all doesn't feel like home anymore.

“You don't belong here. Not anywhere.”

His words repeated in your head along with a part of the conversation.

“You're dangerous.”

You felt so alone right now and you wanted Varian here with you, then again you also had to try to keep distance from him. How can you? Varian was your everything.