Chapter 6

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 6 -
Small Mishaps, Innocent Gesture
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

It's probably been a month now since you visited Corona and living with Quirin and Varian didn't take long to get settled in. You helped more than you should even though half of the villagers didn't really like you. The reason for that is a very dumb reasons, it shouldn't even be considered. It was because you were friends with Varian and that you were living in Quirin’s home.

Though the other half of the village that liked you were very patient when you would join Varian in his mishaps.

“You sure we should shooting this at the wall?”

“I calculated that it's 0.6 even, so it's good.” Varian said while looking over his calculations.

You pulled the trigger and a green ball shoot out when Varian groans not seeing it fire, “Wait! I multiplied the wrong number here. Silly me.”

Your eyes watched the ball bounce around the room and head straight for you which you ducked, “Whoa!” Varian looks up then yells, ducking as the ball flies past him and out the window. The two of you run to the window and seen that it had busted. Aaand it caught cow's tail on fire which the cow ran into the village like mad.

“Uh oh.”

Your faces grimace when you heard villagers screaming. It was oddly quiet after you hear the cow moo in relief.

“Varian, why was the window open?”

“Uh, to let in fresh air, duh.” He says in an unsure tone and chuckles softly.

“You have no idea why it's open, do you?”

Varian held up a finger and grins, “No.”

So being there to help Varian test things was fun, most of the time. When no one got hurt, but what you disliked was being PART of an experiment.

“(____), can you come up to the lab for a minute? Thank you!” Varian said nervously and ran back up to the lab.

You were chopping vegetables for stew and you were worried, especially the way he sounded. Quirin was looking over some papers for something and he raised a brow in questioning at you. You shrugged and went up to the lab.

Once you opened the door and stepped in, you felt something sticky under your shoes. After walking five feet, you fell over when there was a tug. “Ow.” Pink goo stuck under your shoes and it was stretchy like gum. “Varian!”

He came out from behind the curtain with his goggles on then winces, “Well that didn't turn out like I wanted.” He walked over and gently poked at the goo. It stuck to his finger and stretched. “Another failed attempt. Needs to more…...stable and not too elastic.”

You growled silently and turned to pull of your shoes. The stretchy and sticky substance flew back to the pink goo pile in front of the door, basically swallowing your shoes. You stomped off, leaving Varian to his thinking.

Luckily, one of the villagers gave you a pair of shoes, for now, which was nice of them. You didn't know what happened to your shoes, but you did notice in the past couple days after the incident, that Varian was extremely busy.

Quirin would be helping the village out so you stayed to make sure Varian ate. You'd bring in trays of food and see him writing in his books, mumbling numbers and words that were difficult to understand. Sometimes you would only get “thank yous” or a hum in reply.

It was annoying, but you had to smile softly and let out a breathless laugh from watching him for a few minutes. One night though, during dinner, you brought it up to the lab.

Varian lay asleep with his head on the table, arms tucked under like a pillow. Quietly, you put his dinner away and took his blanket up to him.

The blanket flapped softly, going over Varian's figure and you sat next to him. You lay your head on your arms, gazing over his peaceful face. A warm smile made its way to your face because you wouldn't mind doing this all the time. Hesitantly, you reach a hand out to brush his hair back from his closed eyes.

You see drool start to form from his mouth and you tried not to laugh. One of his books was under an arm, so you pulled it away so no droll can get on it. Flipping through it, this was mostly his failed experiments and side notes. One passage caught your interest and it was quite sweet yet funny.

(____)’s shoes dissolved with the substance I made for a humane way to stop critters, but a fail. It was suppose to keep them from moving, not making them dissolve to nothing. Unfortunately it seems it's an extremely elastic compound. I mean (____)’s shoes dissolved because of the chemical reaction from an unstable solution to undo the goo. Am I really making sure this works so shoes won't end with the same FATE?!

You shake your head with a chuckle, closing the book and put it on the shelf. The window was open and before you shut it, you lean on the window sill. The moon illuminated everything so beautifully.  Sure the sun made things brighter, but it never gives enough praise to the moon. Does the sun know how much the moon is lonely at night?

You shook your head again, wondering why you were thinking of a question like that. Your sense of awareness of everything had confused you again. Its like you were on a much higher level of mind than everyone here.

“Stop thinking so much.” You whispered to yourself and went back to the sleeping Varian.

He just looked so innocent right now. Was it bad he was innocent to almost everything and unaware of the bad things in life? You stood over him and you felt sad for some reason. Without thinking, you lean down and kiss his temple.

You pull away slightly and whisper, not knowing what you said or why you said it.

“Keep glowing, Λαθραίο ποτό.”