Chapter 66

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 66 -
Painter's Block
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

The next day, you left Mimi so she could play with her friends for the day.

“(____)! I am so glad you're back!” Cass pulls you into a hug, “Do you realize how worried we all were? You could have sent us a letter.”

You smile a bit, “Sorry…...I…..I was just helping Varian through some things.” You gently pull away.

Case frowns sadly, “You know Raps-”

“Not right now, Cassandra. It's best to give that some time.”

She sighs, “Alright.” She stands up straight, “I do hope he's doing okay. I know with you, he will be.” Cass rubs her face, “Things are getting weird a bit here and so I'm on a mission.”

“Oh?” You ask.

“Feldspar the Clobber went missing two days ago and now Freidborg is missing too.”

You grew worried, “What’s going on?”

“I don't know, that's why my dad gave me this mission.” Her eyes trail to Lance’s painting. “I know that's not yours.”

You smile, “I bought from Lance. He was trying to sell it and well since I had a hunch he worked hard on it in his art class.”

Cass rolls her eyes, “How much?”

“20.”

“(____). You know he was scamming you.”

You giggle, “I know, but he looked so upset that no one was bothering to even look at his work.”

Cass chuckles and ruffles your hair, “You're to sweet for this world, Kid. See you later.”

You wave and glance around your room, then look to the portrait of Varian and lift up the cover. Your fingers run over the picture and wipe a tear that fell from your eye before covering it again.

Since you were alone, you went out into town and sat on the fountain’s edge with your journal out.

You had your ink bottle cradled in your satchel beside your crossed legs. Your hand wrote in the journal as your mind raced.

It suddenly felt like someone was looming over you and you turn around, but there was nothing. You raise a brow and sigh, shutting your journal and putting things away.

“Where is Lance?”

“(_____)?”

You look up at an elderly woman with a cane. Your eyes when to the handle of the cane and before you could place the shape of it, her hands cover it.

“Yeah?” You ask.

“Mrs. Sugarby.” She holds out her hand.

Hesitantly, you shake it and she smiles, “Mr. Strongbow told me he'd be bringing a friend to class, but he had to run a little errand.” She let's go, “I hope you don't mind if I lead you to my class area.”

You shyly rub your cheek and stand, “I don't mind.”

Sugarby waves for you to follow and you do.

As you two walk, you couldn't help but listen to the constant thump of her wooden cane.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

You slightly slow down and gulp, not knowing why you were feeling afraid.

Sugarby turns to you in concern, “Are you alright, Dear?”