Chapter 23

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 23 -
Normal Day With An Alchemist
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

“Setting up traps, so what if someone gets caught and needs the Neutralizing Particle?”

You ask while holding a thin rubber tube that's wrapped around the wooden fence. You two were just right outside the entrance to Varian's house where apple trees grew.

Varian pours the pink chemical compound into the bellows before hooking one end of the tube to the opening of the bellows. “That is why I'm setting traps around my house to test it first.”

He takes the other end of the tube from you and attaches it to a metal cup. You hum and get the string, tying it to the screw eye that's nailed into the bellows handle.

“I better not be testing it out, I mean, it's fun at times, but…..it gets tiring.” You say with a chuckle and loop the string around another screw eye that's on the fence.

Varian tittered, “For you it is, but don't worry. I'll be testing this one.” He smile and ties the string so someone can step or trip on it. “Okay.”

You step back and Varian steps on the string. The bellows blow the chemical through the tubes and a pink ball slightly launches up, landing near Varian's feet.

With a wave of your to clear the pink colored vapor away from your face. “Varian?”

He stood there and grins at his feet stuck in the pink goo, “Now for the Neutralizing Particle.” He takes out a salt shaker and something glittery falls, making the goo disappear. No trace anywhere.

“That is still amazing.” You say with amazement before raising a brow, “Does your Dad know you took the salt shaker bottle?”

Varian rolls his eyes up and grins, “Uh, yeah. Of course he does.”

You knew he was lying, but leave it be. “Now to set up more in your lab, right?”

“Right.” Varian walks with you back to the house, but he stops you, “(____), do you have to go back to staying at the castle?” His sky blue eyes look at you, slightly sad. He was using big, sad eyes.

“Varian, are you using that doe eyed technique from Flynnigan?” You cross your arms.

He still looks at you with that adorable face, not answering you.

You glance away because you had to admit it was cute. “Yes, Varian. I have to go back. Its either they come for me or I go myself.” You sigh then smile warmly, patting his head.

Varian blinks and blushes in embarrassment, “I didn't get that from my book!” He follows you inside.

The other boopy traps were now set up and they worked pretty well especially with the way Varian comes up with them. Creative. Varian's lab had more things in it now, not like how it was a few years ago where it was bare.

Varian sorted papers on the table then notices you were standing in the middle of the room with a far off expression. He leans his head on his hand, smiling softly at you.

You cross your arms and sigh in content, seeing Varian staring at you. “What?”

He smiles more, “Nothing. I'm just wondering what you're doing.”

Your eyes scan the room and smile, “For your information, I'm admiring all your work.”

Varian chuckles and goes over to his Alchemy table, “This mess is admirable? Only you would think that, (____).” He reads off some of the papers then hums, doing his thing.

You walk up and lean on the table, watching him. Varian's movements are fluent, but also clumsy by the way he almost dropped a jar. You didn't really bother mesmerizing all these chemicals and for some reason, potions are easy for you.

“Whatcha doing now?” You ask.

Varian slips on his goggles, getting a pinch of something he crushed in the mortar and takes purple chemical in a dropper. “I was hoping to make something to trigger the Melatonin”

Steadily, the dropper drops two drops onto the crushed substance. Varian began to mix it all with the pestle. You had no idea what he meant, “The Mela….tonian?”

Varian laughs, “Mela-ton-IN.”

You think it over, your brows furrowed in concentration and Varian laughs again, “I thought you get studies from Royal Teachers?”

You pout, “One teacher and you can't expect me to remember all those words. My brain isn't as unique as yours.”

“Your brain is unique, (____). It's different from mine and I have a feeling you're smarter than you think.” He gently taps your forehead and examines what he created.

In the mortar, it looked like glittery green powder. “So what’s Melatonin?” You finally ask.

Varian smirks, “Let's test it to find out.” He grabs a pinch of the stuff and you run.

“You test it yourself, Varian!”

“It's harmless!”

“And I'm the Queen!” You say sarcastically.

Varian runs in front of you, blocking the door and throws the stuff on from of him. You try to stop, but run into it and cough a bit. “Var-” You start to say, but fall toward, asleep.

Varian catches you and grins, “(____)! It wor- oh. I forgot.” He chuckles sheepishly and shifts you so he could carry toward the chair. Slowly, Varian lays your head on the table then goes over to pull a blanket from a cupboard.

Once he covers you, he sits next to you and sighs, “Now to wait to see how long the effects last.”

Quirin comes in to check on you two and it turns out, Varian ended up getting bored of waiting and fell asleep. Quirin steps over the string for the booby trap and walks over to pull the blanket over Varian too.

Quirin sighs and has a hand on Varian's hair, “I love you, Son. I'm sorry rarely say it.” He says softly before heading out again.

Not 30 minutes later, a familiar raccoon sneaks around on the lab and accidentally knocks over a whole shelf of chemicals. It all creates a loud explosion that shook the whole house.

You and Varian fly up in alert. The raccoon just runs around happily and Varian chases after him with a broom he randomly pulled from somewhere.

You watch them go back and forth before your head hits the table from the useless chase going on, plus you quite mad Varian used you as an unexpected test subject again.

“Leave him, Varian. You're not going to catch him.”

Varian trips over his own trap as the raccoon runs out and Varian shakes a fist, “ONE DAY LITTLE GUY!”