Chapter 13

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 13 -
Time Sure Does Fly By When You're Having Fun, Mostly
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

A gloved hand rolled a glass vial across the wooden surface and sky blue eyes stared blankly as the vial rolled back and forth. After awhile the glass vial rolled off the edge and shattered on the floor. The paper in front of him had your name written on it and on the back is the drawing you did.

The paper is tucked away and Varian gets up, heading to the room with the big painting of his small family. He sits on the floor, gazing at his dad who looked really happy then his own self who held an open smile. Varian chuckles softly then his eyes move to the brown haired woman who held him with the most tender smile.

Varian sits there for awhile and tries to remember the words to a lullaby his mother sang, though he could only make out the melody.  The last time he remembers was his mother singing, told him that she loved him and went out the door. Varian shakes his head and got up to go back into his lab

“(____), come back. I know my mom won't, but I still believe you can.” He opens a book with all his failed experiments and smiles. “Until then, I will wait to see your face when I fix these mistakes.” A sense of determination washed over Varian and he began to work.

Between mixing chemicals, building some small trinkets, and writing, he made room to also work on the Glider. Though he did seem to put off everything to work more on the Glider. As he was drawing details in the book, the folded paper of your drawing moved slightly when he accidentally hit it. Varian hums and grins before writing down what he needs to forge the exact design onto the side of the Glider.

Varian couldn't wait when he might see you again and kept himself busy for as the year went by. Mishaps all the same as well and Varian would try new chemical compounds after one is perfected right.

“Alright, easy now.” He had his goggles on and carefully tipped a vial, “Slowly…..one drop.”

Suddenly a raccoon hopped onto the table, chittering loudly and Varian screamed. He blinked as the reaction from the chemical substance bubbled and realized he poured the whole vial, “Please don't let this be bad.” There was a loud poof and pink power covered his hair and parts of his face.

By then, the raccoon had left with pink on his fur. Days later, Varian didn't know he had missed the Princess's birthday and the lanterns by falling asleep. It didn't really matter since he missed you being there.

During the year for you, you've done a lot and it made you tired toward the end of the day. At first, you had to stay in the castle walls, but you had fun. You've meet Freidborg and even though she was silently and a bit odd, she was great at comforting you when you felt down. Making potions with Xavier was amazing too and sometimes you'd make your own things with a small knowledge of Alchemy.

Queen Arianna would come into your room, tell stories about her adventures she had and just act like an older sister than a mother. Cassandra was an older sister too and the one who taught you how to sneak around. King Frederick would keep distance from you for some reason.

Soon you were able to go into town, which was beyond more fun. Especially when you'd help around. There was Monty who you'd just chat with or try candy that he makes up, either way you still get free candy. One time, you spotted something in a window of a shop, two tiny ceramic unicorns. You thought about that thug and smiled. You got the two in a box that had velvet cushions and snuck past the guards.

When the doors opened to the Snuggly Duckling, all the thugs look at you with very malicious expressions and you gulp a bit, but stepped in. You stood there when the bulky thug you meet, stepped up and looked down at you with a frown. You smile softly and hold up the box to him.

He hums deeply and takes it before opening it. It was very silent for a few minutes until he suddenly smiled widely and pulled you into a bone crushing hug.

That's where more amazing times began. The thug which his name was, Vladimir, loved what you got him and hence you hanging out at the Snuggly Duckling. More the merrier, Attila taught you how to bake and showed that the pastries make very good weapons. Hook-hand also gave you extra music lessons. Above all, the thugs love when you tell or read stories or bring candy.

Unfortunately, most of the time you're being dragged out by the guards to be taken back to the castle which the thugs are proud of you in their way. You tried going toward Old Corona, but the guards always catch up. That would always get you in trouble and get held “Prisoner” in your room, but you didn't mind.

The two guards who guard your door were so very friendly and nice. Stan and Pete, you three would talk about anything and most of the time they'd let you get away with most things. You're sitting on the floor behind the line of the doorway and you reach a hand onto the other side. Pete uses his weapon to move your hand back, “No.”  You pout, but snicker. You do it again and this time Stan puts your hand back, “Noooope.”

“So what are you two having for lunch?” You ask.

“Sandwiches, mostly.” Pete answers.

“Like the mini triangle sandwiches? Those ones taste amazing.” You say happily.

Stan gasps and smiles, “I love those too! It just gives off more flavor than a square sandwich.”

Pete shrugs, “I don't see what the big deal is here.” You and Stan gasps in horror at him and soon the three of you are bickering over the shape of sandwiches

Yes, you missed Varian greatly and sure your life right now is good, but it didn't feel complete.

The day of the Lost Princess's Birthday, you were busy helping Cass and Freidborg setup things around the castle. After that, during the night, you fell asleep because this day wore you out and you didn't want to celebrate if Varian and Quirin aren't here.

They made you feel at home. Home. That's what it was. Homesick.