Chapter 10

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 10 -
Take To The Sky In Bird's Eye-View
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

“Varian…..” You said shakily and clip a belt around you with a resilient wire attached to the belt and floor . “....I don't think this flying contraption can hold us both.”

Varian laughs, clipping his belt on, “Of course it can. I made sure this thing holds at least two people. Plus, it's quite windy, so we can momentum to hold us up longer and higher.” He hops in front of you, spinning a small handle.

Suddenly the folded material above you two flapped open like wings, almost close to a way bat wings spread out. The main part you two were in was almost like a metal basket.

Your arm immediately wrap around Varian when the thing jerks after catching in the wind. Varian paid no mind to you and smiles, “Looking good so far.” He hesitantly reaches for a lever before pulling it back. You hear wire being unraveled and your stomach dropped as the contraption went up.

It stopped and just hovered yards above the ground, almost like a kite. Varian turns around, smirking, “What do you think, Mon Chéri?” He bows slightly after the dramatic accent.

You raise a brow at him, “Never try…” You wave your hand at his attempt to be charming, “...that. Again, but…” You grin, looking at the skilled craftsmanship of this flying machine. “This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen!” You see the land around you, even Kingdom Corona.

“Best part is, you can maneuver this thing and to think this is just a side project for fun.” Varian gently moves you aside and lifts up the small seat with a compartment in it, “Now you can travel, though I haven't taken this thing off the wire attachment yet.”

You close your eyes, taking a deep breath in as the wind blows your hair, “Flying seems a bit extreme. I like how it is now.”

Varian chuckles, “Yeah, just hovering here is nice.” He taps his fingers against the metal then smiles shyly, glancing up, “You know….. I haven't named this thing yet, maybe….” He gives you a wholesome expression, “...You can name it? I'm not so good with naming things.”

You hum, smiling then snicker, “What about The Rider Glider?”

Varian blinks then laughs, “Okay, okay. First, that is an amazing name. Second, you are just as worse as me at naming things.”

“Noooo.” You roll your eyes, grinning, “You're just jealous that it sounds better when it comes from me. I'm pretty sure you'd eventually name this thing something along those lines.” You try to mimic Varian’s voice and hold your hand close while looking up, “I know! I shall call this…. The Flynn Glider!”

“I do not do that!” He pouts, throwing his arm out and his hand hits a lever that has a note attached to it. ‘Do Not Push’. His eyes widen when the lever makes a creak, “Uh oh.”

The snap of a wire recoils below you two, but luckily it's not your belts. Suddenly, the “Glider” took off into the air from a strong gust of wind. You and Varian screamed as the Glider tumbled in mid air. “VARIAN!”

“SORRY!” He pulled his goggles down so the wind isn't keeping his eyes closed and tired to reach for another lever. You held your eyes closed, feeling your stomach churn and you held onto the sides tightly.

A heavy weight from under the glider makes you fall into Varian and he holds you with one arm. His hand on switch and the glider is balanced, but not steady. “Definitely not ready for flying off the line.” He gulps after looking down at the ground, “I don't know where we are.”

You still hold onto him since the glider would shift sharply, “Varian, please, at least try to get us down.” Varian grins at the land below, “In a bit. Just look at this.” You peek over his shoulder then stare in amazement.

The long blue river flowing along the green land below. The patches of purple, pink, blue, and orange made the land more enchanting. It all stretched on for miles and you began to wonder what else lies beyond than what you have seen so far. Though there was a small sense of fear which you had no idea where it came from. Somewhere far out there, something happened.

The glider jolted slightly when Varian pulled on a loose lever, making the wing turn the glider to the right. “We just have to slowly descend down then we can land, but…” He moved you to the front and lifted your arms to toward the two loose levers. “....try flying it.”

You bite your lip, unsure about this, but pulled on the left wing and caused the glider to drift to the left. A big grin made its way to your face and you let out a short breathless laugh. You pull on the right and had the glider go around a small peak. Varian laughs joyfully then yells out, “WOOOH!” His voice echoes and he laughs more.

“I see the castle's silhouette, just turn around and keep straight. The village should be close!” Varian said and you nod, pulling the glider around before keeping it straight.

Varian sighs in content and thinks, “Maybe I can fix this thing more so we can control it more easily and keep it more steady.”

“You are a very special person, Varian.” You say, smiling at him.

Varian shrugs and smiles slightly, “I guess so, though others think differently of me.”

You smile softly, “Everyone doesn't want the broken parts, Varian, but there are a few who will use those parts one day to make something greater.” You sit on the small seat, “You can keep running away, but whatever you're running from will always follow. I know it'll be scary, but you have to face it especially if it attacks something you care for.”

A feeling of guilt and shame came over you as you look at the castle's silhouette, you had no clue why. Its like you somehow let Varian down and everyone.

Varian listened to you the whole time then chuckles, “You have a weird way with words, but everytime you talk, I can't help to listen.” You roll your eyes, laughing a bit, “I do. I just can't help, but say what needs to be said. Plus someone has to be here to teach you things you don't know.”

You stand to check the ground and Varian smiles, “We're almost back home.” The way Varian said that was a bit of a surprise. Was it your home now even if you feel like you don't belong?

Something whizzes past your head, nipping your cheek and making a hole through the wing. You gasp sharply, holding your cheek from the painful sting.

“(____)!” Varian yells in panic and he pulls you down when arrows are being shot.

More holes on the wings caused the glider to start falling. You cling to Varian when everything lands roughly and rolls in hard tumbles. You both pant heavily once the glider lands on its side. Varian quickly unbuckles and helps you up, even though he's slightly dizzy.

“(____), I know it's a stupid question, but are you okay?” Varian asks in worry then grimaces at the slightly bleeding cut on your cheek.

You look at him with a bit of fear, “Was someone trying to shoot me?”

Varian stares at you then over at the wall. Whoever did that, you two were safe for now since the glider landed back over the kingdom walls. He keeps you close and you two walk toward his dad's faint calls.