Chapter 1

"T-that's not possible" you stumble over your words. "D-dead?" If you hadn't already been sitting down you were sure you would have collapsed.
Your mother lets out a pained sob that she had been holding in for too long.
"Car" she tries to explain. "Too late" she begins sobbing again before she can tell you anything about what happened.
"There was a car crash" explains a police officer who is sitting on the couch opposite from you. "It wasn't his fault, another driver was drunk and well... by the time the ambulance got there he was already gone. I'm sorry for your loss" he sounded sincere but he talked about the accident so easily compared to your mother. Of course he wasn't going through the same pain as her, he wasn't the one who had lost a child.
You attempt to excuse yourself from the room but your words are swallowed by your sobbing. You rush away and towards his room, it's where you always went when you were sad. Your brother always knew exactly what to say to cheer you up. You impatiently shove the door open wanting to see him look up from his computer screen, turn to you and open his arms for you to fall into so you could feel safe. The room was empty. Your brother was gone.

You knew that it would be easier for your mother if your brother's things were no longer in the house. She would be able to accept his passing sooner than she would be able to otherwise. She wouldn't be reminded as much that she would never see her first child again. Still, you thought it was wrong to move everything that was left of him to a box in the attic. It was as if your parents were trying to remove him entirely and pretend that he had never existed. It was the only way that they could cope with the situation.
"(Y/N) please help out you father with the books" your mother asks politely. Her eyes are red and puffy and her hair looks as if she hasn't run a comb through it in days. She is still in her pyjamas despite the late afternoon sun pouring through the window. This is an improvement. It's the first time she has gotten out of bed in days.
You wander over to the bookshelf where your father is packing away the many books your brother collected. When you couldn't sleep he would pick one off the shelf and begin reading. You glance up at your father as he grabs a few more.
For once your father is not smiling. He always smiled but since he had come home after receiving the news his mouth had been turned downwards, his lip quivering when things became too much for him. He hated to let others see him cry especially his family. That's why he would always wear those ridiculous pink sunglasses, even in the house.
You begin to help him place the books in the box fondly looking over some of the titles that had helped you get through some sad times.
"How long will you stay home for?" You ask quietly. Your father was constantly away on work trips, something to do with the Donquixote family business.
"As long as I am needed" he replies glancing towards your mother. "And as long as I need her"

You pack the rest of your brother's life away in silence. Your mother left half way through to "make a cup of tea" but hadn't returned to continue with the clean up.
"I know that your mother said that everything needed to go away" your father starts, talking for the first time in an hour. "But I think you should keep at least one thing. You can keep something of his that you can not bare to part with"
You look around the room thinking about which item would be most important to your brother. An item that you could use to remember him with.
"His computer" you decide.
Your brother had spent most of his time enjoying the many fantasy worlds that existed behind that screen and you had often watched him play through the many games on his computer. Maybe by playing the games he had once played you would be able to keep him alive in your own mind.