Chapter 29

The week long vacation at Sanji's bach feels like it started a lifetime ago but finished in the blink of an eye. You are about to return to your normal life where everything you thought you once knew has changed. You will never look at some of the people and places that used to surround you with a comfortable familiarity the same way. The veil that protected you from the truth has been lifted to reveal the real gross nature of people you once admired.

Your sudden change hasn't gone unnoticed but after enough persuading the questions stopped, but the odd glances and hushed whispers continue.

You leave the bach in the same car that you arrived in, with the same people and the same luggage. The only noticeable difference is the box that you hold firmly on your lap. It has air holes poked through the roof and it occasionally chirps, but it is mostly still and quiet.

Usopp had found a bird sanctuary on the way back to your home from the town and you had arranged to drop the young bird off so it can be raised properly and one day released back into the forest.

You feel Vivi glance at you every now and then but they have all become more relaxed.

There hadn't been even a whisper of any death during your final day of being in town. No rumours of blood found in the marketplace or even an acknowledgment of someone going missing.

Either all of the townspeople are really good at keeping their mouths closed or Vergo did a very good job of cleaning up the crime scene.

At least you know that your body will be cleaned up so no one has to stumble upon it when you are murdered by the creepy dark haired man.

"We're here." Robin announces as she follows Sanji's car down a driveway that has seemingly sprung out of the forest. There is a hand carved wooden sign that shows you have arrived at the 'bird rehabilitation and release' centre. The cars roll to a stop next to a dark green house that fades into the surrounding forest. An assortment of potted plants are scattered around the front porch and the screen door is wide open.

Usopp jumps out of Sanji's car to check if the person he contacted is there. You can see through the back window as Luffy scrambles into the passenger seat, now vacant of Usopp. As you step out of the car with the box in your arms you can hear a muffled argument between Sanji and Luffy at the dark haired boy's childish behaviour.

You wander carefully onto the porch, trying to keep the box as still as possible.

An elderly woman steps out of the house.

"Are you the ones with the bellbird?" She asks. Her voice is soft and pleasant to listen to.

You nod your head and Usopp jumps into a full explanation of the circumstances leading to the bird being in your care and what actions you have taken to try and help it.

The woman nods along politely and smiles as Usopp's story goes on and on. You zone out when he gets a bit off track and brags about his 'fight with ten cats to protect the bird'. He is probably practising his tale for when he finally catches up with Kaya again. The woman invites you inside when Usopp pauses for a second too long and the two of you enter. You give her the box and she opens it to check the bellbird chick.

"It looks quite healthy." She comments. "You two did well taking care of it."

"So now what happens to it?" Usopp inquires. He seems to have become very attached to it.

"I will simply help it grow up and when it's ready it can fly away." The bird woman replies.

She transports the box into another room, you and Usopp trailing along behind her with uncertainty as to whether you should or not. She leads you through a double door and into a humid aviary. There are spaces in the walls where birds fly in and out as they please. Four tiny waxeyes flitter out of the room and into the forest as you enter. There are two nectar eating tuis that hang upside down on some branches, reaching their beaks inside the flowers to eat. A fantail flutters around by your head, unpredictable with its movements. It lets out a little 'meep' when you get too close and flies further away, still staying somewhat close. There are also three plain pigeons on the ground, waiting patiently for something to fall so they can eat. This place looks like a bird paradise with windows covering most of the walls and various plants around a stone path, but apparently this isn't your destination. The woman leads you on and into the next room which is darker save for the light coming from an incubator.