Chapter 30

You feel safer on the bus ride home. There are less people on this one so you feel that no one is going to sneak up on you.

You had stayed at Law's place for way too long, not really talking but just keeping each other company. He had eventually let Bepo out and you had been drowned in fluff and happiness, just like the first time you had met.

You find yourself reminiscing about that day in the park, how carefree everything had been. Back then Law was just some guy you played games with but now he is an ex-criminal who used to work for your murderous father.

He had calmed your worries about Vergo who has your DNA and a weapon with your name on it. Law had reasoned that your father kept you and your mother hidden so that even the best criminal couldn't track you down. It is likely that the DNA that Vergo has will lead to a dead end, even with his tracking skills that could match a bloodhound.

So you feel slightly calmed but still struggling with the idea of your father. Law had told you just to try keep your head down around him, hopefully he wouldn't notice anything different.

You reach your stop and step off the bus, walking through the streets and towards your home. Hopefully your mum will be back soon. You decided against telling her anything about your father's situation. She recently lost a son, finding out that your father may have been involved...

No. You don't want to think about it. That is the one truth you aren't sure you want to learn. It's probably just a coincidence, lots of people die on the road.

You slide the key into the lock and wander into your house. The air conditioning hits your face pleasantly and you close the door behind you, locking out the stifling heat that is only now beginning to cool off as the sun sets behind the sheet of grey.

If the air conditioning is on it means someone must be home, it wasn't on when you left. Your bags have also been displaced from where you left them by the front door. Your mum must be home.

You wander into the kitchen to grab a snack, apparently that apple hadn't been enough after over a day of picking through your food. You make yourself a sandwich and lean on the counter to eat it.

Looking over the counter and into the dining room you notice that Law's apartment is really small compared to your house. It is only the size of your kitchen and dining room combined.

Well of course, Law got his money through lawful means while dad... you shake away the thought. If you could keep your mind away from all of that while in the house you should be safe from your father noticing.

"(Y/N)" your father greets as he wanders into the kitchen. "I was a little confused as to why your bags had arrived but you hadn't." You freeze mid bite. He walks through the kitchen and opens the fridge, scanning it for anything that can catch his eye. You can hear the smile in his voice.

"I was visiting a friend." You reply bluntly, cursing yourself for sounding so robotic.

"But you've just been on holiday with your friends, you haven't seen your dear father in a week." He turns to you, grinning from ear to ear.

"This friend didn't go on the trip with us." You state.

"I didn't think you had friends other than that group." Your father says. You never were very outgoing so it's not like what he's saying is mean but you have a sudden feeling of suffocation. "So what is this friend like?"

"He's nice, he has a dog." You aren't sure how to talk about Law without bringing up his name. Doflamingo will surely recognise it as it is rather unique.

"He." Your father teases. "So you have a friend who's a boy."

"Sanji, Zoro, Usopp and Luffy are boys." You reply, slowly turning red.

"But this is a friend who is separate from your group and is a boy. Where did you meet him?"

"Online." You reply and your father's smile starts to fade.

"There's a lot of dangerous people online, you have to be careful."

At least your embarrassment can mask your anger at that statement. Who was he to warn you of danger? He tried to drag you into becoming the head of a criminal organisation.

"Your brother made a lot of online friends." You freeze at that statement. "I kept warning him it was dangerous but he kept hanging out with them." Your father isn't smiling anymore. "One of them was in the car with him, the day he..." Your father trails off, staring nowhere in particular.

You almost feel bad for him, he had lost his son after all. But then you remember the way he splattered that vendor's brain all over the stall and you come back to your senses.

"You can get into car crashes with people you know in real life too." You murmur. Your father furrows his eyes.

"What is that supposed to mean?" He asks gruffly.

"Sometimes the people you think you know are the most dangerous." You regret it as soon as you say it, internally begging for him not to catch on to the meaning behind it. But his eyes glimmer with something for a second and somehow everything changes without you noticing how.

"Your brother..." His voice is different now, almost as if he's testing you. "Was rather disappointing in the end." Your eyes widen in shock. How could he say that about his own dead child? "He seemed so promising at first, wanting to follow my footsteps with the business."

You clench your teeth as if holding your own mouth shut.

"But then one day on the job and he gave up, at least you didn't create any false hope for me." He is watching you very carefully, looking for signs of anger, hoping that you will snap. Instead you relax your jaw and put your head down.

"I should pack my stuff away." You mutter, sneaking towards your room. Unfortunately for you he follows.

"Then he started threatening to reveal some company secrets, I don't know what got under his skin but he was so angry." Your father's voice is slow and strategic.

Company secrets my ass.

"Your mother was so upset, he was tearing our family apart." You have stopped but your father keeps walking towards you.

"And then he went and died."

Your blood rushes with rage and you know there is nothing that can calm you down at this point. He has won.

"Tell me something." It takes every fibre of your being not to yell. "Did you kill my brother the way you killed the vendor at the marketplace? Did he beg for mercy?" Your voice shakes.

"Who told you about that?"

"I watched it!" You turn around and yell at him. "I watched you shoot him in the head."

"How unfortunate, but why would you think I killed your brother?" Doflamingo smiles sickly, glad to have finally caught you.

Taking a deep breath you father your composure again before speaking.

"Because you once killed your own."