Chapter 38

Law takes care of Baby 5's body with ease. You divert your gaze from her limp form as he tosses it over one shoulder and removed her from the house. The puddle of blood where she had been lying remains on the floor, slowly seeping out. You look away, instead focusing on a suddenly interesting spot on the wall. Just looking away doesn't quite help with the smell.

You grow restless as time ticks away and you are left sitting on the couch while the pool of blood grows in size and smell.

You glare at it. Everything had been going so well until those two had shown up. Now the rest of the Donquixote family will be aware of this area and you and Law will have to move.

There is no way you will be able to convince your father to let Law go, not now that he has killed three of the employees.

You stand up and walk into the kitchen, dodging the blood and trying to ignore it for the most part.

Law had just killed two people to protect you and all you have done is sulk on the couch. You grab a bucket and mop and quickly get to work, tying a close over your nose and mouth so you don't have to suffer from the smell. You clean until the soapy water is stained with red, where you throw it out into the forest and continue. By the time you finish you are sweaty and tired. But at least the floor is clean.

You fall back down onto the couch with a huff at the same time that Law walks back through the door. He looks tired.

"I would rather not ask this of you but Buffalo is heavier than I expected." He says, walking over to you.

"Do you need a hand?" You inquire, your voice quiet from lack of use. He nods.

"Better sooner than later." He leads you out the door and towards the large body of Buffalo. His blood leaks into the dry soil and soaks the dying grass red. He's lying on his stomach so you can't see his face.

"We need to take him into the forest." Law points behind the house. "I've dug a hole there where Baby 5 is."

You nod once and grab one of his legs. Law grabs the other and you begin to drag the hulking man away from where he lay.

He's heavy and you are still tired from running away from him. Your muscles burn with each step towards the forest and you can see that Law is having trouble as well.

There is an obvious trail from the bloody patch where Buffalo had fallen to the edge of the forest. But it becomes even more difficult to drag him in the trees. His face gets caught on roots and trees block your path to the pit.

Law stands him up to push him through some of the gaps, letting him flop heavily through them, taking out some branches on his way down. You both roll him through the forest. You offer as much support as you can but by the time you reach the pit you are exhausted.

Buffalo is pushed down on top of Baby 5 and Law starts shovelling dirt on top of them. You watch silently.

The whole that they lie in is quite shallow but deep enough that they can be fully covered without their burial site being given away at first glance.

There is a possibility that they will never be found. Whatever families they came from won't know of their demise of how it came about. They were probably seen as good people by some. Nice people who worked for a toy company.

You can hardly see them anymore, just a hand and a foot poking out from under the dirt. And soon even those are buried. Law is slowing down as he goes from tired to fatigued. Still he doesn't stop.

When they are fully covered Law pats down the dirt and covers it with various leaves and branches in an attempt to make it seem more natural.

"What do we do about the blood outside the house?" You inquire as the two of you walk back through the forest, slow and tired from the heavy lifting.

"Rain can take care of that." Law replies shortly. "Let's just rest for now. It's been a long day."

"It's not even midday." You observe.

"Really?" Law looks up to the sky as you both emerge from the forest and into the clearing. "So it is."

You frown slightly. He sounds distant and more cold than normal. Of course shooting two people and disposing of their corpses has some effect on the mind.

You grab a book and lie on the couch, trying to distract yourself from everything that has just happened and rest.

---------------------------------

It is 4pm when Law wakes you from your nap on the sofa. Apparently you had fallen asleep in the warm sun that seeps through the windows.

"Do you still want to learn how to fight?" He asks, helping you to your feet.

"It would be good if the rest of the family is coming after us, even if all it does is buy some time."

"Good, follow me." He guides you outside and past the puddle of blood to a clear patch of grass.

He turns to face you again, silver eyes studying your expression.

"I'm not going to teach you any of those movie style fighting techniques because those require practise and you just need something quick and efficient. The first course of action is always to run. Get out of the situation and away from the attacker." You nod along as he talks. "If you do get caught just do whatever you can to break free. Use your nails, elbows and knees to go for the weak spots. Always go for the eyes and if they put their arms up to defend their eyes you can get their stomach or throat."

Law shows you how to stand and where to hit, sparring lightly with you. He also shows you the best way to get up quickly if you have fallen down.

"What if they're holding me down?" You ask once you have gotten the hang of leaping to your feet quickly.

"Come here and lie down." He instructs.

You lie down on the grass and he sits on you, careful to keep his full weight off you.

You feel your face heating up as he stares down at you.

"So how do I escape?" You ask.

"Hook your left leg onto mine." You follow his instructions. "And in one quick movement thrust your hips up and turn left, this will push me off and give you room to escape."

You do as he says, your leg providing leverage and making up for your lack of strength so you can successfully scramble out from under Law.

"Good." He praises, rising to his feet and holding out a hand for you. You take it and stand, brushing the dirt from your back.

Law reaches a hand up to your hair and lightly brushes it.

"You had some grass in your hair." He murmurs, retracting his hand quickly and looking to the ground. You blush again but keep your eyes on him.

"Am I really worth all of this?" Your voice is barely above a whisper but he still hears it.

"Of course." He replies. He looks nervous. "What, did you think I would decide out of the blue that you aren't worth it and just leave you here? Because that's not happening."

"I wouldn't do all of this for me." You murmur.

"You can't see yourself the way I see you." He moves one hand to your face and cups your cheek, leaning towards you. Your heart rate picks up the closer he gets.

He stops. Hesitating, asking for permission maybe.

You move your head forwards and press your lips against his. He returns the kiss gently.

When you both finally pull back you can see him smiling.

"Do you understand now?" He asks.

"Yeah."

Why is writing a full chapter of torture so much easier than writing a few lines of human emotion?