Chapter 37

With time and experience you get the hang of an isolated life without electricity, although the time is two days and the experience was mostly walking into sudden walls overnight because of the lack of light. The food supply can get you through another week if you're careful and hopefully by then the Donquixote family will have set their eyes somewhere else.

You understand that this safe spot won't be able to sustain you forever, eventually you will have to come out of hiding but you have no idea what will come next. It's not like your father will just leave you alone after everything you've seen.

Law had also shot one of his men in the head and if your father had murdered someone over money, Law could end up with a worse fate.

Scenarios run through your head of how you could help him if your father does find you. Maybe he would be forgiving... Not likely with the massive hole through Vergo's skull. There is a possibility that you have been forgiven, and maybe you could use that to gain the favour of your father so he doesn't kill Law. Then again you are still unaware of the full history between Law and your father so the outcome is difficult to predict.

It's not like you can just hide out in the middle of nowhere for the rest of your life, someone is bound to find you eventually.

You ponder this as you sit on the edge of the lake, feet resting beneath the cool water. Small tadpoles dart around them, unaware of your presence. Your arms are still sore but covered up so they aren't in the sun. The bruising across your stomach and ribs is starting to turn to a sickly yellow colour on the outskirts.

Law is relaxing inside, staying away from the prickling heat of the sun and reading one of his heavy medical books. Despite your predicament he has still been finding time to study. He is still prepared for the future so he must have some hope of escaping this whole fiasco alive.

His hope makes you drop your guard, forgetting that there are people after you.

You just relax in the sun and keep yourself calm. Whatever happens, Law will still be there to protect and support you.

You hear the slight crunching of twigs behind you and tilt your head back to see the one approaching you.

You see the upside down buck tooth grin of one of your father's creepy henchmen. With a short gasp of shock you leap to your feet and swivel around so you are facing him. If you remember correctly his name is Buffalo.

The large man wheezes out a laugh as he starts stalking towards you.

Behind him you can see Baby 5 strutting towards you with a shotgun in hand. Buffalo seems to be unarmed but he is big so even if you knew how to fight, fighting him is not an option.

You are cut off from the house so the only option is to run into the forest.

"Grab her Buffalo, I'll check the house for Trafalgar." Baby 5 instructs, changing direction to walk towards the house.

You can't shout to warn Law because Buffalo is already charging at you. You let out a squeal as you duck under one of his arms and out of the way, taking off at a sprint into the forest.

"LAW!" You shout a warning as you jump into the bushes, darting between trees and dodging roots that stick out.

Buffalo is after you again. Luckily he has trouble navigating through the trees and ends up flat on his face, giving you more time to escape. You aren't exactly athletic and you know you will soon tire out

A gunshot rings through the forest from the house and you freeze. Changing direction again you sprint back, avoiding Buffalo who is pulling himself to his feet using the surrounding trees. He clumsily breaks one and pulls it down onto his head. He is back on the ground again and grunting in pain.

But you don't have time to deal with him. You burst back into the clearing and glance at the house. The door is wide open and it is quiet inside.

You feel panic setting in as you approach it, legs and lungs burning from your sprint.

'Please not him'

"Get back here!" Buffalo roars as he finally escapes the forest. He spots you and charges again. Your legs turn to lead and all you can do is stare in horror as he gets closer and closer.

You feel air whoosh past you and a loud bang. Buffalo collapses in front of you with a large thud.

You turn slowly to see Law standing just out of the front door with a handgun in his hand. There is a cut above his left eyebrow and blood trickles down his face.

You turn back to stare at the lifeless body of Buffalo.

Law rushes over to you, checking for any wounds but small scratches from pointed twigs are all that are there. You watch the corpse, waiting for it to twitch or move. But nothing happens.

Law guides you inside, helping you step over the body of Baby 5 which lies in the living room, blood that is a shade different from her maid outfit pooling around her.

You step into the bedroom and Law mentions something about 'cleaning up' before closing the door and leaving you alone again.

When he returns almost an hour later you are sitting on the mattress, calmer but still distant. The blood has been cleaned off his face and the gash treated already.

"(Y/N)" he murmurs softly, approaching you cautiously.

"I'm fine." You sigh, looking up at him. "But the rest of the Donquixote family will probably come looking for us."

"Yes." Law confirms. "I'll think of somewhere else we can go."

"We can't run forever. And what if they get here before we can move." You think out loud.

"I still have my handgun, and now I have the shotgun." Law replies.

"But they can all focus on hurting you and I won't be able to help in any way. I'm completely useless against them." Your voice diminishes in strength and you trail off.

"You distracted Buffalo well enough that I could take them out one at a time." Law attempts to comfort you.

"But I would have been screwed if he had caught me. There is no way I could have fought back."

"Fighting a big guy like him is dangerous unless you are fast and know what you're doing."

"Teach me to fight then." You suggest. "Even just some basic self defence could do me some good if worst comes to worst."