Chapter 10

All day you study, as your mother requests, taking three breaks for meals. At ten you pretend to sleep and then at twelve you log into a VR game for two to three hours then sleep and the whole process starts again.

Most of your friends are asleep by the time you get on so you mostly go on Tribals, gathering resources and tames.

Nami, Vivi, Sanji and Usopp are almost never on as they have put their studies first. Luffy and Zoro are the complete opposite, going on almost all day and a lot of the night, completely ignoring their studies.

Tonight is slightly different. Your mother has gone to sleep early in an attempt to cure a headache that has been bothering her all day. You wait half an hour, following your normal safety procedure, then start up your computer. It whirs to life and you quickly check who is online before deciding on a game. Zoro, Franky and Brook are on Tribals but you hesitate to join them.

You have been playing it every night for a week and you need a change. You browse through your game library and as you click on Pokemon Online a name you recognise flashes up.

SurgeonOfDeath is online.

Without a second thought you start up the game and place the VR gear over your eyes, lying back onto your soft bed.

Your character is in the middle of the grasslands, where you had logged off a week ago after finally evolving your Mudkip into a Marshtomp.

You release the said Pokemon from his Pokeball and your companion jumps out with a chirp, slightly lower in pitch than before he had evolved.

Your Marshtomp is half your height and stands upright. The two orange spots on his cheeks are still there but the three spikes have changed to a single long spike that sticks straight out. A large orange spot is also on his belly. The fin on his head has darkened and grown taller and the large fin on his back has split into two. He is level seventeen now and is stronger than ever.

You check your other two Pokeballs, the ones containing Zigzagoon and Magikarp, but place them back into your inventory.

You settle down on the dirt next to Marshtomp, resting a hand on his head, and open the map of the world.

A marker shows where you are standing in the middle of the grasslands, to the east is the large forest that curves around to the north as well. You can follow a river downstream to the west where the grass gradually grows until it towers over a player's head. To the South is the edge of the world, a slightly shimmering border that mirrors everything on your side of the map. This border arcs around the entire map to make a large dome, preventing anything from exiting.

SurgeonOfDeath's marker shows you that he is in the middle of the forest to the north-east of you. You minimise the map into the top left corner of your sight, just above your Pokemon.

You stand up and stroll purposefully through the grasslands and towards the forest, Marshtomp waddling along behind you.

There is no change in temperature as you enter the forest, no drop because of the shade. Your body stays at the stable temperature that it always stays at when you play VR.

The dry forest floor is spotted with sunlight and there is lots of space to get through the small birch and oak trees. Patches of moss and grass are scattered on the dirt ground and smooth stone bricks create ancient pathways. You glance at the map again to make sure you know your way before setting off through the trees.

The forest gets denser and darker as you move further towards the centre, where Surgeon is. The trees thicken and the chirps of wild Pokemon fade. A clear empty river runs parallel to the path on your left.