Chapter 40

It is already mid afternoon when Sanji drops you back home. Law had been dropped off earlier at your insistence as bringing him near your house may not be the best idea.

You walk cautiously towards the front door of the house you have lived in for your whole life. The suburban street seems surreal after everything you have been through.

You rub your burnt arm gently as a reminder that the past week was not just some dream. You are wearing a long sleeved shirt so no questions get raised. Luckily today is unusually cold for the time of year and clouds blanket the sky and protect you from the sun.

You reach your your hand towards the doorknob but the door is suddenly pulled inwards so you grasp at the air momentarily. You trip forwards in your moment of surprise and fall into the arms of your mother.

"(Y/N)!" She cries, wrapping her arms around you and squeezing you tightly. You stifle a yelp from the sudden pressure on your still bruised torso.

"Mum!" You exclaim with a squeak. Your mind blanks at any way you can excuse your absence as you relax into the hug. You glance up to see your father standing in the doorway. Where the large smile usually sits on his face is a frown and his furrowed brows emphasise his lack of happiness.

You avoid eye contact with him.

Your mother continues to clutch on to you as if her life depends on it while your father retreats indoors.

"How could you get lost so easily from your father." Your mother scolds. "How hard is it to follow him around on the business trip? How did you end up lost in the middle of the forest?" She refuses to let go despite your growing uncomfort.

"Mum." You complain, trying to free yourself from your mother's iron grip.

"Oh who cares how or why. All that matters is that you are safe at home. After what happened to your brother I couldn't bare if-" she cuts herself off with a sob. You relax again, giving up on the chance of freedom.

"I'm not going anywhere mum." You reassure.

Your mother's breathing evens out and eventually you both make it inside. Your father has returned to a sort of family mode. His ridiculous pink feather coat has been discarded who knows where and the flamboyant sunglasses are also nowhere to be seen. The mundane look to him makes the past week feel like some distant dream.

Doflamingo sits calmly at the table as your mother stresses over you. She brushes your hair, feeds you up then sends you to the shower. It's likely you won't be getting much privacy during the next few days.

Luckily for you your mother decides that her assistance is not required for you to shower successfully. You carefully remove your shirt and examine your arms. Law had told you that there was a possibility of scarring but from how the burns are currently doing you can guess that any scars would be faint and hopefully unnoticeable.

The slight sting as you step under the warm water is all that is left of the pain Vergo had inflicted. It is nothing compared to what it was like on that day but you find yourself wincing.

You relax as steam fills the bathroom. The smell of your special mixture of hair and body products soaks the air as you scrub off the experiences of the past week. Your own clothes wait for you and you eagerly cover yourself in them after finishing the shower and drying yourself off. You expect to feel like your old self again but despite being back in your house with your family, your clothes and your scent surrounding you there is still something different. A small part of your brain tells you that things will never be the same for you again.

You return to your room with your dripping wet hair hanging limply over your shoulders. You has planned to use a hairdryer but at this moment you find yourself too tired to bother.