Chapter 34

"Quickly, the others will be here soon." Law murmurs, checking you over and assessing your injuries. "Can you stand."

You try to get to your feet but stumble. Your ankles are sore from the ropes and your gut feels weak from being used as a punching bag.

Law's left arm supports your back as he uses his right arm to sweep up your legs so he is carrying you. He steps over Vergo's lifeless body and steps through the broken window. He has a few cuts from the first time he got through it but is more careful this time. You hear banging on the door and Trebol yelling from the other side.

"Oi Vergo! You didn't shoot her did you! Doffy will kill you!" The snot-man bursts through the door to see Law and you on the other side of the window.

He gapes for a second then glances at Vergo's body that lies on the floor.

"Law you brat!" He yells, reaching into his large blue coat to presumably grab a weapon.

"Hold on tight." Law breathes into your ear before he takes off at a run. He's quite fast despite having to carry you as well. He sprints past a few buildings and into the forest where he slows down but doesn't stop.

He carries you through the forest and back onto another street where Sanji's car waits for you. Sanji leans against it, staring at you in shock as Law approaches.

"Are you-"

"No time, open the door." Law instructs harshly. Sanji follows his orders and opens the back seat so Law can slide in, still carrying you. "Hurry, they're probably following us."

Sanji leaps into the front seat and slams his foot down on the accelerator, speeding off towards his bach.

Law doesn't let go of you now that you're safe in the car. He switches between checking your burnt arms and behind him in case someone is following.

When you reach the bach he gently lifts you out of the car and into the house, with Sanji rushing ahead to open everything.

"I-I can probably walk now." You stammer but Law takes no notice, carrying you up the stairs and laying you down on the couch. You let out a painful whine when one of your burnt arms comes into contact with the couch.

Sanji rushes over with a first aid kit and Law grabs it, getting to work with fixing you up. First he focuses on the burns. He grabs some kind of ointment from the kit as well as a bunch of bandages.

"This is going to sting." He warns as he dabs some onto your arms. You clench your teeth and whimper slightly as he runs his fingers down your arm, making sure the cool ointment covers all of it before wrapping it in bandages.

He repeats the process with the next arm and when he finishes you let out a small sigh, relaxing back into the couch.

Law then moves on to your wrists and ankle which have raw skin from where the ropes had rubbed against them. They don't need nearly as many bandages as your arms but they are still quite sore.

Law gets up to wash his hands which have become kind of bloody from tending to your burnt skin.

"Was it Vergo?" You hear Sanji inquire quietly. Law nods, glancing back at you with pain in his eyes.

"What if he comes after her again?"

"He won't." Law replies firmly.

"Why not?"

"Because Law killed him." You say, your voice hoarse from your earlier shouts of pain. Sanji's eyes widen as he looks between you and the mentioned man.

"You- how?" Sanji is in shock. You guess he really knows nothing about what is going on and Law's past.

Law reaches into his black jacket and pulls out a gun, placing it carefully on the counter. Sanji gapes at him and then at the gun.

Law walks back towards you and kneels next to you.

"We're going to have to hide for a while." He murmurs, looking over you again. You nod and he lightly touches his hand over the back of yours. "If the family find you they will hurt you again, probably turn Doflamingo against you."

"What will happen to you?" You ask.

"They will probably kill me." He replies, rubbing a finger softly in circles on the back of your hand, trying to calm you down.

"No." You protest softly.

"That's why we need to hide."

"I don't know how long I can keep you guys here." Sanji cuts in. "Probably a few weeks but I would need to return home and then you wouldn't have a car to escape in."

"No, we can't stay here more than a few days." Law replies. "Doflamingo knows you are her friend and Trebol saw me so we can't stay at my place."

"Then where will you go?"

"I know a place, but for now (Y/N)-ya needs to recover." Law turns his grey eyes back to you and they are filled with this gentle emotion you haven't seen on him before.

"I'm so tired." You announce in a whisper.

"Beds are downstairs, (Y/N) can sleep in the one she was in last time. I'll make some hot chocolates and bring them down soon." Sanji says.

Law slides one arm under your legs and another behind your back then lifts you up again. He carefully carries you downstairs and you lead him to the right room. He lies you down on the lower bunk bed while he makes up the queen bed, then transfers you over and under the covers. He sits beside you, legs hanging off the bed

Sanji comes down with your hot chocolate soon after and you try to sit up, wincing as your stomach aches from the punches.

"Was there something I missed?" Law inquires, concerned eyes glancing over you.

"Vergo tried to use my gut as a punching bag." You admit after a sip of the drink.

Law runs a hand over your ribs and you wince again.

"Do you want me to take a look?" He asks. You blush and quickly shake your head. He realises what he just asked and his cheeks also turn into a light shade of pink.

"Sorry." He murmurs.

"You were just trying to help." You reply.

"Yeah well I murdered someone while trying to help you." He mutters. Sanji grabs the empty cup when you take the final sip of hot chocolate and returns upstairs with it. "Are you scared of me?" He asks.

"No." You admit. "You saved my life." You stare into his grey eyes. "Why would you go so far just to save me?"

Law drops his eye contact and shifts uncomfortably.

"Because..." He trails off then stares into your eyes. "You are really special to me (Y/N)-ya. These past few months with you have been some of the best of my life." He leans closer. "You make me feel like I have a chance to redeem myself." He blushes again and backs off, shifting nervously again.

"Law..."

"I'll leave you to sleep." He tries to get up off the bed but your arm shoots out and grabs his sleeve. He stops and glances back to you.

"Please stay." You beg, pulling him closer to you even though it makes your arms sting. "Please."

He sits back down and gently rests one of his hands on the side of your face.

"Just stay with me tonight."

He kicks off his shoes and gently places himself under the covers with you, hesitating the whole time in case you change your mind. But you don't.

The sun is almost set as he finally lies beside you, trying not to hurt your damaged arms and stomach. He watches you as you close your eyes and start breathing deeply. Eventually he relaxes enough to close his own eyes.

"Law?" You murmur.

He hums a response, only half opening his eyes.

"I like you too."