Chapter 43

As I am a Kiwi this is kind of set in New Zealand so Christmas is in summer.

Also sorry that this chapter is late. I had five exams this past week so it's been hard to find time to write. It was a bit rushed so please point out any mistakes I made.

The morning after your date you wake up to the sun tickling your face and the rapid spamming of the doorbell being rung over and over again.

"(Y/N)!" Your mother calls from her room. "Can you get the door please."

You groan and roll out of bed, slipping a light cardigan over your pyjamas and sleepily shuffle to the front door.

You open it to see Robin, Nami and Vivi all looking very awake and ready to go. Perplexed by their sudden arrival you can only utter a single word.

"What."

Nami scoffs and pushes her way inside, followed by a shy Vivi and a smiling Robin.

"What do you mean 'what'" Nami replies as she drags you towards your room. "We need to get you dressed and ready for the day."

"Why? What's happening today?" You ask as Nami let's you go and starts rummaging through your clothes.

"Christmas is in less than a week and we need to do some shopping." She explains, pulling clothes out and dumping them onto your bed. "Oooo, nice dress." She comments on a particular article of clothing.

You yawn as Nami continues pulling your room apart in her mission to dress you up.

"Looks like we'll need to go for coffee first."

"And some sort of breakfast." Vivi pipes in.

Nami finally pulls out some clothes she is happy with and shoves you in the bathroom to get changed.

Outside the door you can hear as Nami continues rummaging through your things. There is a slight thud and two of the girls yelp.

"Oh dear." Robin says nonchalantly. "Do you think it's broken?"

"What are you lot doing?" You ask worriedly.

"Nothing!" Nami calls back. You hear the three of the whispering among themselves.

You groan as you pull on the last of your clothes and hurry back into your room.

"What did you break?" You inquire.

"Nothing!" Nami insists.

"It's only slightly broken." Vivi attempts to defend Nami.

Nami sighs and holds out a small music box that you've had since you were seven. It is very pink and not quite something you would call a sentimental object. Even so, you had never thrown it out and always kept it in the open, somewhere you can see it.

The little ballerina on top of the box has been snapped off and some of the gears sit outside of the box.

"My father gave me that." You recall.

Nami looks down.

"I'm sorry (Y/N)" she apologises.

"It's fine." You assure. "It should be easy to get it fixed. Anyway, we've got shopping to do." You perk up.

"Let me do your hair first!" Nami insists.

———————————-

Eventually you make it to a cafe in the middle of the local shopping centre. Red and green tinsel decorates the streets outside and a giant Christmas tree has been added to the centre.

A distant "ho ho ho." Can be heard as a Santa poses for pictures and cheers up bored children who have been dragged out of the house by their parents.

The cafe you are in is playing hushed Christmas music and a few reindeer cookies are for sale.

You sit with the three girls at a table with a coffee and pastry each. Nami pulls out a folded piece of paper and proceeds to unfold it, opening it up to a large brainstorm diagram that takes up most of the table space.

"So here's the plan." She announces. "There are gift ideas here for each of our friends, I have been collecting these for months so take note. I have also added people you lot might want to buy presents for, please add anyone you want and some ideas so we can all keep our eyes out for these things."

"Sounds good." Robin says as she examines the paper.

The four of you take off and sweep through the shopping centre, gradually making your way through the list.

The whole time you rack your brains for an idea of a gift for Law. He is your first boyfriend and you haven't had to buy a gift for someone like him before. This leaves your mind completely barren of ideas.

The list is about eighty percent done and you still have not come up with any ideas. While last year you had bought three gifts for your family this year there is only one that you need to buy. Even though your feelings towards your mother have grown conflicted as you uncovered your father's secret. Subconsciously choosing to ignore his evil deeds even when her own son died. In the end you had bought her a simple and reasonably priced pair of earrings, wanting to do something to show that you are still there for her. All you can do is hope that one day she will open her eyes and see the horrific truth about her husband.

At one point Nami's focus gets completely absorbed by a nice clothing store and the rest of you wait as she explores the clothing racks for something she doesn't need. You scan over a few things and your eyes set on a large, dark navy blue coloured jumper. It's Law's size and you think he will enjoy it. Grabbing it you can feel that the inside is very soft. You couldn't imagine a better gift to get for your new boyfriend.

Finally the list is complete and the four of you settle down for a late lunch in the food court. It is somewhat small and the food choices are limited but the quality is good. There is a TV stuck to a wall near your table, quietly announcing the news or showing some sport. At the moment there is some sort of political debate going on.

A large plant at every corner of the food court adds some nice decoration and there is an area specifically for families with a small toddler slide and a few rides. You watch parents unwillingly feed coins to the rides so their children can be entertained for a minute or so.

Nami nudges your shoulder.

"Hey (Y/N)." She murmurs.

You hum in response and turn to face her.

"What's up?"

She nods her head towards the TV to show a news story being shown.

The subtitles read [two bodies found buried recently next to an abandoned house.]

Your heart sinks. Old photos of Baby 5 and Buffalo appear on the screen along with their real names that you were not aware of.

[Investigations and an arrest have already been made.] the arrested suspect appears on the screen.

"(Y/N)..." Nami says. "Isn't that your father?"