Chapter 3

Note: The games in this are based on real games but function slightly differently.

Trying to figure out the VR gear all by yourself was a little bit more difficult than you had expected. The manual that contained the instructions for setting the VR system up again had been lost long ago in a pile of old papers in the corner of your brother's room, a pile that had a new home in a recycling plant somewhere. So you found yourself in a voice call with Robin, Franky and Luffy using discord so they could try to explain what you needed to do to set it up. This was not their first time trying to explain what to do with the VR set to a member of the group so everything was ready sooner than you had expected and soon you were lying on your bed with the headset on and nine people in the discord call getting their own gear set up. You move your hand up to a button on the right side of your head, one that would paralyse your body and transport you into a world of, well, dungeons and dragons. You let out a breath you did not realise you had been holding and talk into your mic.

"I'm jumping into the game now, see you all on the other side"

"We'll find you at the beginner's spawn area" Nami assures you, "then we can get to the real fun stuff"

You laugh and push your finger down. A white loading sign appears in front of you and reality is washed away.

The darkness of the loading screen is suddenly replaced by a large meadow. You can tell easily that it is not real because of the cartoony look but the quality of the graphics still halt your breathing for a second. There are sounds of birds, wind and the trickling water of the river to your right that leads to a small town in the distance. Rolling hills fill the background and a cloudless blue sky fills the space above you. You reach a hand up as if you were going to try touch it but the transparency of your hand instantly takes your attention away from your surroundings. You lift you other hand into your view as well and it is also slightly transparent. You turn around to face the other way and see the giant title screen of the game. Huge red letters spell out "Dungeons and Dragons Online" and underneath are a few options in slightly smaller writing. You reach out one of your transparent hands for the option that says "Play" and hold it there for a few seconds before the server list pops up. You grab for the search bar and a keyboard pops up in front of you which you use to type "East Blue". The resulting server shows up almost instantly and you are forced back into the darker loading screen as you connect.

A large dome builds itself around you with only small slivers of light that land on the floor in nine spots that surround you. In each spot of light a figure begins to grow out of the ground and you realise that these are the different species you can choose from. Large writing pops up in front of each figure which labels them and also acts as a button for when you choose what race would suit you best. You turn on the spot and read each label, contemplating what kind of character you would create. The randomly generated dragonborn character stands over you stuck in idle animation which made it seem even more intimidating. The slight rise and fall of it's shoulders and chest gave you the chills. The scale that covered the creatures body were red and it's snake like eyes stared into the distance. It was difficult to imagine that anyone playing as a dragonborn would be kind people that would give you mercy if you found yourself on the wrong side of their blade. Next was the dwarf, a small and stout figure that looked rather angry. After looking at the stats for a few seconds you decided you would rather not see this new world from so close to the ground. An elegant elf stands in the next light spot looking proudly straight ahead. Walking around as one of these creatures would definitely be more interesting than being your human self in real life but you didn't think you would do the race any justice by playing it as your clumsy self. Next was a short gnome that looked incredibly happy despite being stuck in a dimly lit dome where nothing exciting was happening. You felt like goldilocks, indecisive and highly critical of every choice. Too intimidating, too short, too graceful, too happy. The remaining species still stood patiently waiting for your critical eye to fall onto them. The half-elf and half-orc are a nice mix that you can see being quite useful. The halfling is once again a little to short for your taste but you do spend a little longer contemplating it than than the last two. The next race choice is human, which is useful because of the large variety of skills that humans excel in but who would want to stay human in a fantasy world like this one? The last one is Tiefling, a demonic creature made for all of the edgelords who play the game, people with names like ShadowLord and all of the Reaper players in Overwatch.