Chapter 8

The buzzing of your phone on the carpeted floor wakes you. The sun streams through the window and tickles your face. You force your eyes opens and reach for your interrupting phone and answer the call.

"Hey (Y/N)!" It takes you a moment to recognise the voice as Nami's. "Are you at your computer?" She asks excitedly.

"Uh..." You reply, your brain not functioning enough to even speak yet.

"Go! Tribals is out!" Nami exclaims. "Hurry up, we're all already downloading it" she hangs up and you are left attempting to comprehend the rushed information Nami had given you.

You sit up slowly then push yourself off the ground and groggily walk towards your own room. Carpet marks are printed on the right side of your face and your dress has shifted upwards a little. The light makeup you wore yesterday has smudged and your hair resembles a birds nest.

The world around you blurs slightly every now and then but you manage to make it to your room and to your computer.

You turn it on and quickly make the transaction to buy the game and begin to install it.

On the group chat your friends are shooting ideas back and forward about what to do in game and Brook has already found a server to join.

While waiting for the game to download you have a quick shower and grab a piece of toast that you chomp on. Knowing that no one else will come to your house today you change into one of your brother's large shirts, which you had stolen a year ago, and some comfy pyjama shorts.

The game finishes installing shortly after the rest of your group have logged on so you are eager to join them.

You lie on the neat bed and place the VR gear over your eyes, relaxing into the soft pillow.

Within seconds your game has loaded in and you are in another character creation screen. This one is more simple than the DnD character creation since only humans are available and there seems to be only one hairstyle, which has the hair buzz cut.

You customise the body type and facial features to make it the way you want before you spawn in.

You appear inside a giant wooden hall. A few other players wander around it, looking at the rules of the server that line the walls and socialising with one another.

A orange haired female player named CatBurglar walks up to you and grabs your arm, pulling you along behind her and towards one of the walls where people are signing up to the different tribes on the server. She places you in front of the StrawHat sign up and crosses her arms, tapping her foot on the ground impatiently.

"Wow Nam- I mean CatBurglar" you say, briefly forgetting Nami's pet peeve when it comes to real life names being used online. "You aren't wasting any time"

She huffs and points one long finger to the sign up sheet.

"Hurry up so we can meet with the others, it's a long walk to get there and the sun will go down soon. For the first few in game days dangerous creatures only come out at night" she explains as you join the tribe.

As soon as you are done she grabs you again and leads you out of the community hall and into the wilderness that surrounds it.

When you reach fifty metres away from the hall a notification pops up in front of you.

"Now leaving the safe zone, pvp enabled"

Nami picks up her pace and you are forced to as well in order to keep up.

"Watch out, Zoro has already died once because of some other players" she warns in a hushed voice. You nod and stay quiet, becoming more aware of your surroundings and anything that could be lurking in the shadows of the deep jungle that you are currently walking through. If this was real life you would have twisted both of your ankles on all of the roots that cover the ground. Vines stretch along anywhere that a tree or fern is not already growing, making it increasingly difficult to push through and get to the tribe's camp in good time.