Chapter 2

You groan as you push the large computer into its new home beside your dark wooden desk.

You didn't know much about computers but you had seen enough envy in the eyes of your brother's friends who visited to know that this was a very good computer. It could also hold a lot of games with three terabytes of space from the three internal hard drives within the computer. The outside of the computer was white and had a clear plastic window that showed the wiring and blue lights within. Written with a silver pen on the front of the computer was the name Zeus which your brother had given to the computer after much thought and debate. Your fascination with the Greek gods had been what finalised the decision of name choice. The virtual reality gear that your brother had bought a week before his... accident... had been named Hera.

You wince at the thought of his death and bite your lip to keep yourself from tearing up again. It would not be a smart idea to work with electronics while crying.

You begin to work on the wires next, plugging the computer into the wall and connecting the headphones, mouse, keyboard and finally the monitor which you have places in the middle of your desk.

Your finger hovers over the power button of his computer, your computer, the last piece of your brother that still remains in the house. You take a deep breath and push your finger down, bringing life to Zeus and begin sorting through a major part of your brother's life.

Your third and final term holiday was over, ending three days after you had set up Zeus. You had definitely not expected to spend the final few days deleting all of the porn your brother had downloaded. He had been very clever at hiding it in folders that your mother would never think to look at which made it very difficult to track down every last file. One of his friends had even visited to "stick to the bro-code" and help clean all the evidence of your brother's entertainment. He hadn't talked much and you were sure he was also struggling with the loss.

Your father had stayed at home since receiving the news and refused to go on any business trips he was requested to go on. He spent most of his time supporting your mother who had gotten better but was still a long way from her normal self.

She was out of bed most days but had yet to leave the house. You wished that you could copy her and do the same but both of your parents insisted that your education was more important, especially in your final year of high school and when your final exams were right around the corner.

You take a seat in your home class and pull out some study notes to work on, it would be a sufficient distraction from the stares and whispers.

"Her brother died you know? Car crash"

"I bet he was drunk"

"Shh! Have some respect"

No matter what their individual thoughts were of the incident they all stayed clear of you, not sure how to help or scared of what your reactions could be.

The seat beside you moves back and your friend slips into it. She carefully wraps an arm around your shoulder and you lean into her embrace. No words need to be said, that would just make you cry, but you know that she is there for you. She pulls out her own book and begins to read. The two of you sit there silently, not even looking at each other, until the bell for first class rings.

"Thanks Robin" you say as you gather your things and walk out of the door.

This is how most of your day went. During the classes most people were wary of you and your friends silently supported you. It was the easiest way for you yet you still struggled. For once you dreaded lunch, unsure of how your rowdiest friend would treat you after the incident.

You wander through the courtyard until you reach the grassy patch that your group has claimed as their sunny day spot since the first term at this school, five years ago during year nine, or freshmen year as Americans would call it.

All nine of you in the group were in the same year but you had such different lives and paths that you were beginning to follow. Everyone else seemed to know but you were still confused at your place in the world. No matter what career guide you go to you still were unable to make up your mind. Luckily you had taken a variety of subjects so there were still several paths you could take.

You set your bag down and then lay beside it, closing your eyes and taking a big breath of the Spring air.

When you opened your eyes again the face of Luffy filled your view. His brown eyes were wide and curious, like always, but also filled with sympathy. His short black hair rustled slightly in the wind and his straw hat, which was definitely not uniform, sat atop his head.

Luffy showed his sympathy in the most Luffy way by giving you some of his lunch then lying down next to you.

The others chat about the events in their holidays and you listen silently. Zoro spent most of his time training for kendo in his old hometown with an old childhood friend. Nami helped her sister Nojiko and her mother Bellemere around their mikan orchid and spent most of her time either at home or shopping. It was impossible to tell what Usopp had spent his two weeks of holiday doing but you assumed by his tale of the ten metre fish he had "caught" that he had been spending some time by the ocean. Sanji had gone to his family's bach to patch the place up before Summer starts. Robin gave a few book reviews on some books she had read, suggesting "of Mice and Men" "Wyrd Sisters" and a few other titles as good reads. Franky had been working in his uncle's shop, spending most of his spare time tinkering with some new creations, one of which ended with a noisy smoke alarm, some firemen and a large fine to be paid by his parents.

"What did you do Luffy?" You ask quietly. You had always needed to know how your friends were doing, the better they felt the better you would feel.

For once Luffy was silent, deciding that his holiday with his brothers was not something he could brag about given the current situation.

"I played D&D-O" he replies.

You had heard about D&D-O, or Dungeons and Dragons Online, before because everyone else in the group owned VR systems and they would often play together. You would usually tune out of the conversations around this game because you did not own any of the equipment necessary, well not until now.

"That's a VR game right?" You ask, sitting up. You knew your brother had owned it and it would definitely be already installed on Zeus.

"I was able to keep his VR set and computer" you say, your voice growing into more of a whisper with each word.

"We could go on tonight" Luffy suggests "add you to our guild and show you the ropes of how to play"

The others had gone quiet, knowing that actually using your brother's computer may cause a lot of emotions to stir in you, good and bad ones.

"I would love to join you guys"