Chapter 21

You have never been as annoyed at Luffy as you are now. And that can probably be said for everyone who had stayed at Nami's house for the night.

The first victim of Luffy's early morning noise seems to have been Zoro, who sits on the couch glaring at anything and everything that moves.

It is likely that Usopp left last night because he wanted a good sleep in and you find yourself very envious of him when Luffy barges through the door to Nami's room shouting about breakfast. A lot of yelling and a slammed door later you are all up and around the table, waiting for Nami to come up with something for you all to eat. You had pulled on some of Nami's pants as you had forgotten to bring your own but you remain in the shirt you wore overnight.

She scans the pantry and the fridge, surprisingly alive for someone who should be terribly hungover. She slams the fridge shut and turns to face you all.

"I can't be fucked making all of you breakfast so we're going to a diner." She decides, grabbing her purse and marching out of the front door.

Luffy cheers and runs after her while the rest of you shuffle out of your chairs and make your way out of the house. The only shoes that you can wear are the heels from yesterday and you doubt you could make it out the door, let alone done the street, in those given how tired you are. So instead you decide to go barefoot, having to dodge glass that is scattered down the road. It doesn't take long for you to convince Sanji that a piggyback is required.

By the time you make it down a couple of streets to the diner Nami has already ordered for everyone, probably so it is within her budget, and all that's left for you to do is sit around and wait.

The few workers look tired and unhappy about a large group of people ruining their easy morning shift. Other than them there is one other person in the building, a dark haired man with sunglasses and some oddly zigzagged facial hair who is calmy drinking some coffee in a corner booth.

Nami starts off a conversation with the most annoying question someone who just graduated could ever hear.

"So, what are you guys going to do with your lives now?"

Even before you had graduated this was the question everyone asked. It was bad enough with teachers, career advisors and sometimes other students but when you saw relatives. You shiver at the thought. It's the first question to come to mind for any older person once they figure out your age and you have answered it again and again for the past year. It is almost fair that they kept asking as your answer every time was 'I don't know yet' but surely they should have given up long ago. Towards the end months of the year you had begun to answer with things like 'start a cult', 'eat some food' and 'fade out of existence'. Whoever asked you would laugh then ask again, not letting you answer before recounting their own lives after leaving high school and the many struggles they faced with free university.

"Firefighter!" Luffy decides. You don't know how good the pay is but at least he's aiming for something realistic. "I want to beat up all the fire monsters." Maybe not so realistic.

"I was thinking about being a police officer." Zoro mumbles.

"Ha! You, marimo! A police officer?" Sanji laughs.

"Not like you could be something better!" Zoro challenges.

"I am looking towards working in a beauty salon!" He announces. Everyone pauses for a moment, trying to figure out if he's being serious.

"But Sanji." Robin protests. "You're such a good cook, wouldn't you rather go down a culinary track?" Sanji grimaces.

"But there are so many women who don't realise how to use their hair and makeup to suit their face. I could help so many lonely girls..." He rambles on about his fantasy with hearts in his eyes.

"Anyway." Nami interrupts the crazed blonde man. "I was thinking about working with children somehow."

"Ew," comments Zoro, earning a hit on the head.

"Children are so cute and sweet." Nami fawns.

"And smelly and loud." Zoro complains.

Nami ignores him and continues the interrogation.

"I already asked Usopp yesterday, he's looking into graphic design." Nami mentions. "Robin?"

Robin hums then answers.

"I've always liked flying on planes, you get to visit all sorts of historical sites. Maybe a cabin attendant?"

"Didn't Franky say something about training to be a pilot? You should ask him about it next time we're online." Zoro suggests.

"What about you (Y/N)?" Nami turns her attention to you.

"I don't know." You reply, tired from how often this question gets asked.

"We'll do you know a general direction?" She pushes. "Like something you enjoy and can see yourself doing later in life."

"I said I don't know." You mutter.

Luckily for you Nami's order of scrambled eggs on toast and bacon arrives at your table and you all dig in, often having to force Luffy off your plate to keep some of the bacon for yourself. This prevents her from asking further questions for now but it doesn't stop you thinking.

You've never had an answer for the question even though you really should have by now. The only thing you are certain of is taking a gap year just to figure everything out.

Your parents had been reluctant but had agreed when you suggested that you could work during this time and get enough money to make surviving Uni a little less harsh.

You finish your food and return to Nami's house to pick up your dress from last night. You don't live very far away from her so you figure that walking home will be fine.

For once it is your father instead of your mother who is there to meet you at the front door.

He looks stressed and your guess is that it is work related, if you could really call whatever he's involved in 'work'.

You shouldn't believe everything Law says. You have only known him for a little over a month and maybe he is lying to get revenge on your father for some reason. Still, you can't help but be suspicious now every time he has to do something work related.

You wander back to your room and sit down at the computer. If what Law was saying is true then your computer could have been paid for by stolen money. Money that your father didn't earn and should never have put his hands on.

You skim your hand over the desk, thinking further. Maybe all the furniture, experiences and education you've had was paid for by the shady dealings of your father. Your entire life was built off of some sort of blood money.

You freeze. Law hadn't said anything about anyone being killed. Your father wouldn't kill anyone, right?

Law had mentioned Rocinante, your uncle, dying shortly after your father had discovered his distaste for the line of work they were in.

How odd, even after you had lost your own brother Doflamingo never mentioned his.

You turn the computer on and it opens to a picture of you and your brother when you were children. You had never related more to him as you do now.

You aren't sure what to do with your future and he wasn't either at your age.

You have taken over his love for games.

You have just turned down Doflamingo's offer, although he learnt more about it before he quit. He even went on a trip with your father to learn what to do and that's when he changed his mind...

No. Your father is not a murderer. No way.

He died a few weeks after returning from the trip and he was definitely different afterwards.

You shake your head. It has to just be a crazy coincidence.

You feel sick to your stomach at the idea.

But there's no way in hell that your father would kill anyone, especially his own family... Right?