Chapter 5

Three hours after your intense battle and you are back on the computer, browsing through the many games that your brother poured the majority of his life into. You finally understand the excitement that he had gotten from these worlds and you wanted- no, needed- to see more. You try to find games you might recognise from the time you used to spend watching the screen over your brother's shoulder as he played.

You pause your scrolling and select Pokemon Online. You had never watched your brother play this particular variant of the game but you had seen the other pokemon games and know the main objective.

You set the game up and carefully place the VR gear onto your head, lying down on your bed and entering the new world.

The style is much more cartoony than the DnD game.

A character appears on the screen and appearance options pop up on the three panels around you. The first is the body type and facial features, next is hairstyle and colour, and third is the outfit. You pick through the options until you have your ideal character and outfit. A side bag rests on the hip of your new character which is likely to be what contains the Pokeballs. The final panel shows a selection of twenty one different starter Pokemon. A fire, water and grass type Pokemon from every region up to the Alola region from Sun and Moon, which was the game you had watched your brother play as a child. A few of the Pokemon starters stand out more than others to you. The sassy fox Fenekin takes your interest as well as Mudkip, Charmander and Rowlet. You struggle with the decision for awhile and ponder over each one. They are all cute and are all valuable to have as companions. Your hand hovers over the pictures on the panel and you carefully place your transparent hand onto the button for Mudkip.

Having finished creating your character you are plunged into darkness for a few

seconds while the new world loads.

You find yourself in a lab where your Mudkip stands on a sterile white table staring up at you. A very cartoony scientist stands to the right of the table and begins to speak to you.

"Hello, what is your name?" He asks you. He has olive skin and his eyes and hair share the same dark brown colour. Underneath his white lab coat he is wearing a dark green t-shirt and dark grey pants. His anime eyes blink as he waits for you to type your username into the brightly coloured panel that has appeared before you.

"Ah, what a nice name" he compliments. "Welcome to the world of Pokemon. This is an open world where you can wander around and find all of the already existing Pokemon to either defeat them in battle or to catch and train them." He talks on, giving you a short tutorial on how to play the game and all of the special things you can do in this world. As he finishes his speech the professor gives you six Pokeballs and a small amount of money to get you going.

"Before you go you will need to catch this Pokemon. Get a Pokeball from your inventory, aim then throw it" the professor instructs.

You do as he says, holding the red and silver Pokeball in your hand before lightly throwing it at the Mudkip who had been patiently sitting on the table while the professor had talked.

The small blue Pokemon glows with white light before shrinking and entering the Pokeball, which lands on the table then shakes once, twice, and stills. On the left side of your vision the symbol of a Mudkip appears in one of the six templates. A health bar, happiness bar and experience bar are to the right of Mudkip's picture, all being full at the moment.

"Alright! Treat your new companion well and he will reward you by winning battles for you. A happier Pokemon is a stronger Pokemon. Now go and enjoy your adventure!"