Chapter 28

With a rushed explanation of why you returned alone and why you seemed so ill you had hastily gotten past all of your friends and into bed to avoid further interrogation. Even then you struggle to fall asleep and get barely any rest.

The morning passes by in a blur, your friends walking around you as you stare blankly at no spot in particular. Any questions they ask you are ignored so eventually they give up but you continue to notice the worried glances and hushed whispers.

You don't eat much of the breakfast when it is served, just shifting it around on your plate which doesn't go unnoticed. You leave the table before everyone else and head back downstairs to the girls bedroom, followed by the determined footsteps of one of your friends, the ones who you can't talk to this about and can not involve for their own safety.

"I was going to ask if you were okay but it is completely obvious that you aren't." You hear Sanji say from the doorway. "You've been like this since yesterday so something must have happened at the marketplace, or when you were walking back from it."

You nod subtly but don't turn your head to face him. Sanji is the only other person who knows what goes on around here which makes him the first choice for talking to. Still, he had said that talking to people about these kind of things could put them in danger and you really don't want to force any burden upon him.

"Did anyone see you?" He asks after a large moment of silence, likely filled with him calculating ways to help you.

"I-I don't know." You admit, shaking slightly at the memory that you would rather not be talking about. Even though Sanji seems to understand exactly what you are going through you find that he is not the one you want to talk to.

"Come on, talk to me about this." Sanji insists, walking slowly into the room and towards you. "I can help you."

"Just leave me alone!" You snap at him, turning on your heel to face him with an unearned glare. His is shocked into silence and his eyes widen at your unexpected outburst. You know he has done nothing wrong and he only wants to help, he may be the only one who can help but you can't stand being around anyone at the moment.

You are suddenly sickened by the people of this town and the way they will turn a blind eye to everything so the criminals can run rampant. The citizens keep living their happy little lives full of glowing sunshine and relaxing beach days while the rotten secrets are buried underneath the closed lip smiles that make all of the visitors want to stay, unknowing of the monstrosities that lie within the forest that contains the town of lies. Even Sanji, one of your most loyal friends, is part of the scheme. Holiday home owners like him show up during the Summer to relax and the price is lives like the one you watched get stolen yesterday.

This town is filled with liars that hide away from each other in plain sight. A wife saying she just came across the priceless pearl necklace that is suddenly hanging around her neck, hiding marks that the children do not understand. A son buys his elderly parents a house by the beach so they can watch the sunset every day of their well earned retirement, unaware of the illegal products sold to pay for their easy life. A father hiding his murderous hobbies from his daughter so she can live her life in a virtual world without needing to worry about what her future has in store.

The grotesque nature of this town nearly has you gagging as one of the liars stares at you in shock, as if he has no part to play in all of this. His father is supposedly doing all kinds of wicked deeds but instead of taking a stand Sanji takes his friends on holiday, to the very place where the evil of the world gathers to form one deformed piece of society.

The reality of the world you have come to exist in horrifies you and you find yourself shaking in a mixture of sadness, fear and rage. You are sad for the man who lost his life yesterday and for the many others who are likely to follow him to their graves in wake of your father. You are scared of the man Vergo and his impersonal vendetta against you. And you are furious at your father, who you had only known to be kind and loving, for being someone you have come to detest so much.