Chapter 9

The atmosphere of your year level is a mix between buzzing excitement and absolute dread. On one hand it is your last day that you will ever have to go to classes in this school but on the other hand exams start in one week. At twelve all of the year 13 students are allowed to leave their classes to go to the hall for a massive shared lunch. You quickly find your friends who are absolutely ecstatic to be finally leaving high school. On the other hand you are focusing more on the upcoming exams so can not enjoy the celebration to the same extent as your classmates.

When the lunch is over you all pile out of the hall and through a human pathway from all of the younger students at your school. Then you are free to leave.

The excitement finally gets to you and you rush home to get the VR system set up only to be met with the stern face of your mother.

"Are you not taking this seriously?" She questions firmly, arms crossed as she stands in your doorway. You put the VR gear down slowly.

"I am" your voice is small.

"Apparently not. This will distract you from getting the results you want"

"More like the results you want" you counter, defiance blazing within you like a fire. Your mother's expression remains the same.

"No games until you finish exams" she commands then turns on her heel and storms away.

You sigh and set the VR gear down on your computer. You know that she is right but without the games your mental health can easily decay from the stress of the exams and your brother.

You will have to be careful but you think you have a way to handle everything.

The light in your mum's room goes out at 11:30 but you wait until 12 to switch on your computer and enter the Tribal game. Only SoulKing and Robin are on at this hour and they are likely to drop within the hour. They are currently expanding the land that your tribe owns by adding another wall layer further into the jungle.

You want to do something a little more exciting to keep yourself awake. You grab a bow from the wall of the main building and a lot of tranquilliser arrows and sneak out of one of the gates, heading into the jungle.

You wander around for a while, mostly staying in a crouch so as to not to be noticed by any creatures.

Finally you make your way through the jungle and to the other side of it where rolling fields of grass and flowers cover the ground.

You lie in the ground and survey your surroundings for any potential tames. Rodent-like creatures scurry around in the long grass. They can be good for a bit of food but not so useful as tames. You then see the large grazers in the field. There are at least ten of them in the herd and they æ taking turns eating and watching out for predators. Most of their sleek fur is light grey but there are two black stripes on their necks and lower legs. The legs are similar to those of a deer except for the padded paws that are their feet. The quad pedal herbivores strut around gracefully, their heads held high. Those heads are adorned with four large golden horns. A black blaze runs over the middle of their faces, down their backs and to the ends of their tails, which becomes a big tuft of fur, like an exaggerated end of a donkey's tail.

You sweep your eyes across the herd and eventually lock on to one of the creatures standing slightly away from the rest of the herd and taking no notice of its surroundings.

You notch an arrow into the bow and draw the string back, aiming at the lonely creature. You shoot and hit it in one of its hind legs. It lets out a startled sound and shoots off, scattering the rest of the herd. At first you find it difficult to spot your target amongst the panicking creatures but soon the narcotics that had been on the arrow take effect and your target stumbles. You shoot it again, hitting it in the side, and rise out of the grass to run towards it. The creature stumbles again and struggles to stay standing. Once you are right next to it it collapses to the ground, knocked out.

You set up some of the edible vegetation you had taken from the base next to the poor creature then stand up to guard the fallen creature while it tames.

The taming process is at 90% when you notice a figure coming towards you. You notch an arrow in the bow and aim it towards whatever is there. The sun is setting so the likelihood of a hostile creature attacking is high but you can not rule out the fact that it could be a player. You duck behind your tame and wait for the potential enemy to make itself known.

"Hell yeah!" It's a player. He pushes through the tall grass and kneels by your creature, apparently not seeing you.

"The boss will be so proud when I bring this back!" He reached for it and you release the arrow which embeds itself straight into his head.

He lets out a surprised about and jumps back, pulling a sword from his inventory and flailing it around uselessly.

"Who's there?" He cries out as you shoot another arrow into his arm. He has a lot of health so killing him is proving to be more difficult than you had anticipated.

One more arrow to the head and he drops to the ground and dissolves.

"Killed Penguin of the Heart Tribe - leader SurgeonOfDeath"

SurgeonOfDeath, the same username as your friend from Pokemon Online.

A text box suddenly appears in front of you asking you to name the Crowned Ibak which you have just tamed. His stats also appear before you and once you close them down and turn towards him you see just what a big creature he is. Your head only reaches his shoulder and his own head towers over you.

You reach your hand towards his face and hold it there. He reaches his nose out the rest of the way to meet your hand, nuzzling into it. You smile and push your hand up to his forehead and then along his neck and onto his back. You place the other hand beside it and pull yourself up and onto its back and sit still for a minute, enjoying the view.

"Hey! That's her! She killed me!" You recognise the voice of the player named Penguin. Glancing over your shoulder you can see him running through the grasslands with four other players in tow as well as a few wolves, similar to the one Luffy had tamed.

An arrow shoots past your head, followed by two others and a spear. You instinctively kick the sides of your new tame, causing him to shoot forwards. He easily dodges everything your attackers shoot towards you as you steer him into the jungle.

Thanks to your ride you lose the five of them within half a minute but the adrenaline coursing through your veins from the attack prevents you from slowing down. You make it back to the base in a quarter of the time it took for you to walk.

You reach the wall and your crowned Ibak springs into the air and clears it with ease. He slows to a trot and continues at the slower pace until you reach the main building, where SoulKingis working at a crafting bench.

"Yohohoho" he says spookily "what have you brought back (U/N)?"

You slide off of your new companion's back and hop towards SoulKing.

"Crowned Ibak, is there a saddle you can make for him?" You ask joyfully. It takes a minute for your heart rate to calm down and for the adrenaline to slowly fade away.

"Yes (U/N)~chan, I can have it finished by tomorrow if you want. What time will you be on?" He asks politely.

"Same time" you reply with a grin, holding some produce out for your new companion to feed on.

You stifle a yawn and finally your exhaustion takes hold, causing you to stumble slightly.

"Get some sleep" SoulKing suggests.

"I think I'll take that advice" you decide, yawning again. You return to your personal hut with your companion following you loyally. As soon as you are inside you log out, shut down your computer and fall asleep before your head hits the pillow.