Chapter 15

"Talk me through this again." You request as your mouse hovers over a button to buy and download a rather old VR game that your brother surprisingly never got.

"C'mon (Y/U/N)" Penguin's voice comes from your headphones. "It's a big city and there are lots of crime gangs. We just steal money, weapons and cars to try to become the biggest baddest crime gang in the city." he explains.

"But there's only four of us." You reply.

"But it's Law, Shachi, me and you. There may only be four but it's four really good players." He tries to convince you.

You hum suspiciously.

"We'll all be really sad if you don't join us." Penguin begs. "Please please please, it's only $20."

"Fine." You sigh as you press the download button.

"YAY!" Penguin yells into your ears, almost deafening you.

"Ow!" You yelp, flinching away from the headset.

"Sorry."

-----------------------------------------

The character creation is a lot more limited than other games you are more used to playing and the graphics are also worse. There are only a few hairstyle and clothing choices, all of them looking thug-like and kind of badass. For your character you pick your natural hair colour in a ponytail. For the outfit you pick black jeans, a white tank top and a black leather jacket. To add to the look you add some sunglasses and large boots.

You load into the big city which is currently set in the middle of a sunny day. NPC civilians wander around the dirty streets and old newspapers get bullied by the wind. You are in a concrete square with a few dead trees. You are surrounded by ugly grey towers with small windows and everything looks worn and old. Except for a flashy yellow car sitting idle at the other side of the square.

Another player has also noticed and dashes for it, only to be shot in the head by the occupant.

Civilians scatter and you can already hair some sirens of police cars coming towards you.

He steps out of the car and you instantly recognise the features that are used by the SurgeonOfDeath when he creates his characters.

You wander towards him and he raises a hand in greeting, leaning against the powerful car trying to look cool.

"Subtle." You comment sarcastically.

"Let's go before the cops get here." He says, getting back into the driver seat. You sit in the passenger seat beside him and the car roars to life, shooting down the street.

Law obviously knows his way around as he manages to drive all the way to the crime base, which happens to be a nice home on a hill a bit out of the city, without encountering any of the police that had been after you earlier.

The driveway doesn't have a gate or anything to keep unwanted guests out but it is a big enough piece of land that the house has a decent enough size for a double garage. Law parks the yellow car inside the garage next to an old station wagon.

"So how did you get this car when the rest of your stuff is... well..." You gesture towards the old car on the other side of the garage.

"I stole it and got lucky with the cops all being after another gang in the area. There are only so many that can spawn in." He shrugs as you both exit the car and wander into the house.

It's definitely old and none of the three boys living here have tried to clean it up at all. There are cobwebs in every corner and muddy boot prints all over the creaky wooden floor. The house is only one story but it is large enough to hold the four of you comfortably, and any cash you happen to come across.