Chapter 20

Octavia:November twelfth

Octavia:
November twelfth.

We walked together in silence, his arm occasionally brushing up against mine causing a soft electric current to flow up and down my arm.

I felt like a total moron. I mean my mate kisses me and I run and hide. Who even does that? Me apparently. Also, to make it worse, I'm a stuttering, stumbling mess around him. It's like any little ounce of hate I had for him went flying out of the window the moment he kissed me.

Every time I think of him kidnapping me and keeping me hostage... I don't feel this white hot anger anymore. Not the way I used too. I just feel sad and confused. Confused as to why he would treat me so awfully.

I miss my family.

"What are you thinking of?" He nudges me lightly with his elbow. I look up at him to find his ocean like eyes already focused on my face.

"Honestly?" I ask, not sure whether I should bring up the topic of my family. I didn't want to ruin the mood or moment, but I couldn't help but think of them. All the time.

"Of course." He nods and shoves his hands into the pockets of his jogging pants.

"I miss my family." I shrug as if it's no big deal. I tried to make it seem like no big deal anyway, I've been spending a lot of time with the children these last two days. Reading to them and watching them interact with other children and their families. I miss mine. I miss my siblings. It hurts knowing that I haven't seen them in months and that I may never see them again.

"I'm sorry. I wish I could relate to that." He adds the last part jokingly.

"What do you mean? Your family is here. Cipher, Alexander and Christina." I was slightly confused. He didn't have to miss them because they're always around.

"Alexander is my uncle and Christina is his mate. My parents are dead." He says softly, but no hint of sadness nor regret in his tone. It's like he didn't care that he didn't miss them.

"How did they die?" I ask. He didn't seem disturbed or upset about their death so I figured he wouldn't mind me asking such a question.

He clears his throat before answering, "My mother killed herself and my father was murdered."

I press my lips together, trying my hardest not to let my shock seep through. I don't know what to say. Should I apologize for his loss? He doesn't seem shaken up at all.

"That's awful." I breathe out. We were just a few feet away from the gym and training field when he stopped in his tracks, causing me to stop too.

I turn to face him. He's looking down at his shoes, thinking. I don't say anything. We stand there for a few minutes, in silence before he looks up at me. His blue eyes were hurt and almost angry. Part of me was scared. Is he upset with me? Did I say or do something wrong?