Chapter 26

Octavia:November Twenty-seventh

Octavia:
November Twenty-seventh.

It's my birthday... it doesn't feel that way though. It feels like any other Tuesday morning to me. Everything around me seemed quiet and peaceful, which is definitely a change from my previous birthdays. Back at home our house would be louder than a zoo. My mom and younger sister, Odessa would be gossiping and laughing loudly as they made the largest tower of pancakes I'ver ever seen. While on the other hand my father would be struggling to put up the breakfast decorations while Odin simply watched and laughed. Orion, the eldest, would be running all over the house to grab the gifts that they've kept well hidden from me.

I would wait in bed as tradition until everything was all set and they came up as a group to sing me happy birthday in bed. A sad smile takes over my lips as the fond memory dances through my mind. I miss them all so much. My heart weighed heavy in my chest, knowing they wont be here to witness my twentieth birthday. I'm no longer a teenager.

Rolling out of bed I make my way straight to the bathroom to perform my morning routine. I throw on a comfy outfit and head downstairs. Grabbing a breakfast bar from the kitchen I take notice again of how quiet everything is. I tune into my werewolf hearing, only to find the house completely empty. Well, then. Happy Birthday to me I guess.

I try my hardest not to dwell on the fact that its my first birthday without my family. In a way I had a new family. Christina, Alexander, Cipher, Ajax and even Sam. Sure, they did things differently but that doesn't mean they don't care as much as my other family does.

Soon I find myself standing outside of the Children's school. I still love to read and interact with them every once in a while. Children are just so pure, it was hard to feel sad when around them.

The moment I walk into the room, it goes completely silent. I had almost every pair of eyes on me and it felt extremely awkward.

"Children what do we say to the Luna on her special day?" One of the instructors says, sending warm smile around the room.

As if a lightbulb went off in all their little cute heads, a chorus of "Happy Birthday" and "Happy Birthday Luna" rang throughout the room. Although one in particular stood out. Her pigtails were bouncing wildly as she ran up to me.

"Luna, Happy Birthday!" Lola practically catapulted herself into my arms and if it wasn't for my fast reflexes I'm sure I would've stumbled over. She held a hot pink piece of paper in her chubby hands and a bright smile was plastered on her face.

I return the smile that graced everyones face and I was suddenly extremely grateful I was here. "Thank you everyone."

The children soon returned to their activities and I brought Lola over to our usual reading corner. She makes me read the same story about a lost puppy every-single time but I never get tired of it and neither does she. I take a seat in the rocking chair, placing the little girl in my lap.