Part 12

After I was done getting my hair up I walked out to the living room where's Matt was waiting. He had a brown coat on, a plaid scarf tucked underneath, and leather shoes that tipped up at the ends. It looked as if he had just flown in my London today. He looked up at me and smiled.

"Ready to go?"' He rubbed a hand on the back of his head, I nodded and we walked out the door. "It's been a while since I've gone out like this you know?" He said as we popped open our doors to get into the car.

"Oh yeah?" I said ducking my into the door, clicking the seatbelt a crossed my body.

"Five years exactly," he huffed lightly, pushing the key into the ignition; the car roaring to life. After we pull out of the driveway I realize that I haven't taken a look around the neighborhood since I moved in. Matt's house was definitely the biggest in the neighborhood, although the other houses around seemed a bit more... Homely, family places. Every now and then you'd see a finger painting taped to a window or a bike in the yard, it was lovely really. It was like the neighborhoods with the picket fences and stay at home moms, like the Truman show, perfect... Set up. And in the middle of this picket fence family place... An insane man. A very lonely insane man. I lay my face sideways on the seat, and look at Matt. It was almost sad... Sad, beautiful, tragic.

"Do you talk to your neighbors much Matt?" I ask.

"No... Not really," he answered thoughtfully.

"Don't you ever get, a bit lonely?" I question, casting my gaze out the window.

"Why I've told you before, your company is nice because I do in fact, get a bit lonely," he nods to himself as he speaks, his fingers taping a bit in the wheel.

"Have you always been here alone?" I click on the radio, then click it back off.

"Do you always ask so many questions?" he glanced at me, flashing a smile.

"I don't know," I laugh. "Do I?"

We both just laughed a bit, sighed, and continued with the earlier silence. It was nice, the simplicity of it all. For once I didn't feel the need to worry about my classes, or where I'm living, or about my mother finding out. Simple. It was perfect.

I lay my head back on the seat, closed my eyes and exhaled.

It wasn't long before we went through two shopping malls and stopped by the post office to pick up more of my bags that my mother had sent in. A bit of small talk filled the empty space about his work and my classes and what not. The day was easy and I seemed to relax into the gentle flow of doing absolute nothing.

I must have dozed off because I found myself being gently shook. I opened my eyes to a sky streaked with orange red clouds.

"We're here," he whispered, stepping back and extending a hand to help me out of the car, I took it. We walked out to the dock and looked over the edge, the setting sun through colors over the water like paint. It was beautiful.

"It's beautiful," I sighed in awe, the water lapping at the wooden docks posts and hungry seagulls were the only sounds. Fish would ripple the surface every now and then, like a slow system. Everything was slow, calming, like the world turned in slow motion.

"It is," he nodded, a felt a quick pulse around my hand and it snapped me back to reality. I hadn't realized our hands were still together, fingers now interlocking. My heart rate quickened, and I willed my palm not to get sweaty now. Shit. Shit what do I do. And just like that the world seemed to quicken... Except for Matt. Matt who despite my confused pannick, smiled over the water, blinking so his eyelashes met every few moments. I held my breath, my mind seemed to overflow.

What in the hell is going on?

"Oh look," Matt spoke perkily, bending over his hand detaching from mine. It seemed to take my breath with it. I gasped a bit, fearing he'd topple right into the water from his too-long-limbs. "A penny. How nice."

I hadn't realized at first when his hand was in mine, but I felt an unbelievable emptiness when it wasn't. He held the penny up and looked at it then held it out to me as he smiled.

"Here you go."

"What do I do with this?" I ask as he dropped the copper coin into the palm of my hand.

"You make a wish silly." I flipped the coin over in my hand a few times, closed my eyes, and tossed it into the water.

~~~

Any other time I would have wished for anything.

Any other point in my life.

But at that point, only one thing was on my mind.

So I wished for Matt.