Part 16

Ten minuets.

"What? What's wrong?" I hold my heard between my knees while I sat on the couch, Matt rubs his hand over my back.

"They don't know about the house Matt," I sigh, holding back the bile in my throat.

"What's wrong with my house?" His accent didn't smooth me this time, unfortunately.

"Nothing Matt," I sigh. "They think it's a duplex."

"Ohhh," he got up and walks to the kitchen. Probably for a drink, I thought... A clinking of glasses confirmed my thought. "Huh... I guess it's too late to rent an old man now."

"Matt this isn't funny!" I snap, my blood pounding in my ears.

"Calm down, it's just a house," he sighed, sipping his wine loudly.

"Oh yeah, a house and oops, sorry mom did I mention I'm messing around with the 29 year old owner," I try not to shout but it doesn't quite work. "WHO LIVES WITH ME."

"Thirty," he half smiles, takes another sip from his long stemmed glass.

"What?" I huff, suddenly very weary.

"I'm thirty." He smacks his lips after another drink.

"Really?" I question, feeling myself waste time.

"Yep,"

"Oh... Cool," I sigh, who cares what my mom thinks? I feel myself relax, I have a... Something, with him, I live with him. I'm nineteen I can do what I want.

She only pays for my classes,

And my university,

And my phone bill....

Shit.

I'm dead.

"Dear," he sighs, "Our... Situation, your parent won't mind." He states matter-of-factly.

"Um, actually, they'll care pretty freakin' much." I snap again, my fear and worry twisting in my chest once again.

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? Why in the hell do you think?" I hear myself shout, it feels as if I'm watching myself the entire situation overwhelming me to a point of extreme.

"So what? We are just going to hide ourselves from your parents?" He spat back, hitting his glass too hard onto the counter.

"Yes!" I about, guilt rising in me from angering him but at this point I didn't care. This is his fault, he is the reason this is all crashing down. He's bad luck.

"Do you not see how childish you sound? How childish you are?!" He shouts, I seem to have forgotten the kind of rage he gets into even though he had only yelled like this a matter of time ago.

"Childish?! Well maybe you should be hooking up with a 'child' in the first place!" I shout, fighting back hot tears. I regret what I say, hoping he doesn't act on it... Why should I care if he left? Or, well... Kicked me out.

He crosses the room in two quick steps, "You are a child! Immature!" He spat in my face. "Your are pathetic, you come here to get classes and you end up acting like some slutty-"

I smack him.

Hard.

He keeps his head turned, his jaw clicks. Fear rises in me as I see the red mark appear on his cheek. I reach up and brush my fingers down it, it's hot.

"Matt..." I want to cry, take it back. But why? What do we even have...? Nothing. I search for words, anything... "I-"

The doorbell rings.

We stand, looking at each other in silence.

"I'll get it." He says, slow... Painfully slow.

He's going to ruin this. He's going to tell them everything. I fight back the tears in my eyes.

The door swings open, it all happens too fast... Too slow.

"Hello, you must be Rory's parents," he smiles, too tense, too happily.

"Umm yes," my mother side steps passed him, raising an eyebrow. "And you are...?"

"Matt Smith," he smiles, despite the anger... His charm never ceases.

"Oh, and you are the... House boy? A professor of... Um, Aurora's?" My mom hugs me and kisses my cheek I'm frozen in terror. "This is smaller than I imagined, is your place in the back dear?" She smiles, my dad trailing her, hugging me aswell.

"This is it." Matt smiles too wide, tilting back on his heels. "I wanted something cozy you know? The market these days. And this was the best in my budget-" he continued, I'm dead. I could cry I could die. My feet held like lead to the floor, choking on my own breath.

"Oh... Um, that doesn't make any since Mr...?" My mom raised an eyebrow, looking at me but I kept my eyes locked on Matt who avoided my gaze.

"Smith."

"Oh, yes. Mr. Smith... You, own this house?" I felt her painfully piece it together.

"Yes ma'am,"

"So you are, here... With my daughter?" She hissed, sounding a bit too cheerful.

"Yes ma'am," he said again. I suddenly wanted to hit him again.

"And the duplex is...?"

"Nonexistent,"

"What do you mean?" She sounded angry... No, enraged. And Matt smiled as if he enjoyed it. That horrible, horrible insane man.

"Your 'duplex'," he held up his finger in mock air quotes. "Is my guest bedroom." He smiled, and my mom gasped, horribly angry.

"You mean to tell me, sir," she spat the last word each time it left her lips, "that you and my daughter are staying in this house, together sir, nearly what? Three doors away?"

"Two actually," he smiled. "You know what Mrs. Michael's, before you decided to arrive... I was hoping it wouldn't be a any doors between us tonight."

And that's when I fainted.