Part 6 - Painful Past

KHUSHI

It was past midnight and Arnav had kept himself locked in his room since morning, I couldn't understand why he was so angry about what I said, I know I was rude and I should have thought before I said anything but it just came out and honestly it wasn't something new between us, I always said a lot of hateful things to him but today I don't know why he behaved this way and God knows why I was regretting it.

Maybe I was too much engrossed in hating him that I dint even realize there might be a reason behind him being this way, maybe there was a reason why he hated marriages like he had mentioned a few times, at least what he said to me today made me believe that.

Maybe for the first time in my life, I had judged a person wrongly, he had done nothing wrong to me still I was always rude to him, Apart from him being irritating, it wasn't that he had murdered somebody or done something terrible to me, I disliked him but he was never bad towards me, he took care of me today, he even cooked for me, I was just being heartless maybe.

I stood in front of the door of his room wondering if I should knock or not, I had cooked dinner for him, he hadn't eaten anything since morning and I couldn't just let him be like that.

I knocked at the door nervously and waited for a while for him to open but he dint, I stepped back thinking he might be asleep, it was 2.am in the morning for God sake! Just because I was awake dint mean he also had to be awake.

"Arnav, if you are awake please come outside, I need to talk to you." I said as I knocked at his door once again and then headed back to the hall, if he was asleep I dint want to keep knocking at his door and disturb him.

I settled down on the couch and stared at the calm ocean in front of me, it was shining like a diamond in the moonlight.

I heard the sound of the door of his room opening and the next moment he was standing next to the couch.

"Are you okay? Did you take the medicines?" He asked worriedly.

"Yeah, that's not what I wanted to talk about, it's about what I said in the morning, I was just angry and moody and it came out, I dint mean it, I am really sorry." I said as I looked at him sadly.

He nodded as he sat next to me but maintaining a distance, he stared at the ocean without saying anything, I stood up and rushed to the kitchen to get him something to eat.

I walked back and handed him the plate as I sat down next to him, he looked sad, although he smiled at me when I handed him the plate his eyes looked a bit sad and that's when I realized that even though unintentionally, I had maybe opened a closed wound.

He took a bite and kept on staring at the ocean, there was an awkward silence, I dint know what to say but I just wanted to say something to him to make it up to him.

"I don't hate love Khushi, neither do I hate people who get married, I just hate the fact that people are so eager to get married they don't think out things, yes get married but when you are ready and when you know that you would be able to stay in it, why do you have to get married just because it's something that should be done?" He said, his voice sounded so deep and so sad, I hated myself for doing this to him.

Today, I was seeing a complete different Arnav, he wasn't the one who used to irritate me or be happy always, it was like a complete different person was seated next to me, because as far as I had known him, I had always seen him being this happy person and irritating to me of course but he was never sad like he was today.

"Sometimes even after knowing each other for so long, marriages don't work out Arnav, and it's not anyone's fault in that." I said.

"I know, but I dint mean it in that way... not working out is a different thing..." He shrugged