Part 28 - Last Time

ARNAV

Since I came back from Khushi's house, I couldn't sleep, I kept on tossing and turning on my bed trying o sleep but only if it was possible.

I couldn't forget the look on Shrey's face when he found out about us, it was so damn heartbreaking, and I hated that I was the one to make him feel that way, he was my best friend, I wasn't supposed to make him feel that way.

Only if there was a way I could change things, I definitely would, not that I regretted falling in love with Khushi, it was the best thing to have happened to me, it was just that she wasn't the right person because she was my best friend's wife.

I heard the doorbell ring and I sat up immediately wondering who it might be, it was almost midnight and no one really visited me.

I got up from my bed and headed to open the door, to my surprise, Shrey was standing right there, I knew he was going to come but I dint know it was going to be this soon.

Honestly, I dint even know how to face him, looking at him just made me feel guilty, I was the last person he would have thought to do something of this sort to him.

"Can I come in?" He asked, I just nodded and walked aside allowing him inside, he walked in and settled down on the couch in the hall silently, I closed the door and joined him.

"Shrey I..." I started to speak but he interrupted me.

"No Arnav, today I will speak and you will listen." He said, his voice sounded so strict.

I nodded and looked at him waiting for him to speak, he sat there silently for a while until he finally started talking.

"We've grown up together, from school to university to everything that happened in your life, I was always there, right by your side.

I was there when you fell in love, I was there when you got cheated on, I was there when no one else was Arnav, you were the only person who was important to me, I cared about you more than I cared for anyone else.

I saw how hurt you were when your marriage broke, I saw how you became bitter about marriages after it and so you were the last person I thought would ever do something like this to anyone, I was your best friend Arnav, all I deserved was you by my side always as a friend, I trusted you and that's why I left you behind to take care of my wife because I thought a person who had been cheated on wouldn't ever cheat on someone else, but you ended up doing just that!" He looked at me angrily.

"I dint cheat on you Shrey, I dint even touch her." I dint know how I was ever going to make him understand that.

"But you love her and she does too!" He shouted angrily.

"So many people out there love someone they can't be with, so many people get married to someone else when they are in love with someone else, that's not cheating, it's just destiny.

Look I dint wish for this to happen, do you think I forced myself into falling for her? it just happened Shrey, it was out of my control, but what was in my control was not to ever touch her because she was your wife and I made sure of that!

I know it was all wrong, but why don't you understand, if either of us had to cheat on you, we wouldn't have told you about this, this is different Shrey." I tried to explain myself.

"All I know is that you snatched my wife away Arnav, and I can't ever forgive you for that! Do you even have an idea what this is like? She says she's in love with the both of us, how do you even think that's possible? She's either in love with me or with you, and I don't want to know who she really is in love with.