introduction

THE ARK

THE ARK. TWO YEARS AGO.

It was night, and almost curfew time. The Ark's lights were lowered, not as bright as they were during the time they were up and awake. Most of the people out of their rooms, for now, were guards that Harley Bostwick would stumble by. The Ark had twelve stations, and she was lucky enough to live in Alpha Station where she was extremely privileged compared to the ones who held a status below her. That meant Harley was well fed, had the highest of any electronics, and would possibly even get away with being out after hours.

The Ark had strict rules. If you disobeyed, and was over eighteen, you were locked in an airlock chamber and floated within twenty-four hours. If you were under eighteen, you were put in the Sky Box where you would have the chance for your crime to be reviewed. If you were found guilty, you were floated and if you weren't you were pardoned for your crime. But being out late wasn't a law enforced, so Harley continued without a word but a smile to anyone who was in the same state that she passed. She knew both her parents would be worried if she wasn't to their space soon, so she picked up the pace.

Harley was getting much closer to nearing where her and her parents lived when she heard a strange noise. Harley was always kind, sweet, and willing to be selfless to help anyone around her. Not knowing that this would be a moment that changed her life forever, whether in a positive or negative impact, she followed the sound like a curious cat. It was like she had completely forgotten that her parents were waiting and curfew was closing in. There wasn't many sounds in The Ark when the lights went down, especially one slightly loud, and in Alpha Station. They were much more respectful of The Ark's laws.

Instead of taking a left, which would lead Harley to her waiting parents, she chose to take the right from where she heard the sound. Usually, she would take a second to pause and look at the large clear window that shows into space. It was beautiful, dark, with speckled glowing stars and left a perfect view of planet Earth just below the floating station. It was even better when The Ark's lights were lowered. Except this time, Harley passed by it without a single glance in its direction.

Quietly, Harley peered over the corner of the hall. To her utter surprise, there was a strange boy with his back turned to her that was spreading a liquid with an odd smell. It really didn't take a genius to find out what the plan was. Harley didn't have a mean bone in her body, and she couldn't let this boy do whatever he was planning. So she stepped forward, despite the small stirring feeling of fear. "What's your name?"

Harley speaking up with her question caught the male by surprise, making him jump and turn around in a threatening manner like he had been caught. His lower lip curled in disgust at the sight of her when he had calmed from the shock, as if she had done something wrong. "I'm nobody," he answered rudely, continuing tipping the container and splashing more of the gasoline around.

"Hi Nobody, I'm Harley Bostwick," Harley introduced, playing along to whatever the stranger meant. 'Nobody' rolled his eyes but continued with his task, pretending like she wasn't in his presence. "So, Nobody - "

Before Harley could continue with her question, he turned around harshly with a wave of his hand. "I'm John Murphy, okay?!" He exclaimed, his voice in a hushed tone as to not alert anyone else that could be nearby. "Can you go now, just leave me alone?!"

"No, I can't just let you do this," Harley answered simply, stepping closer in the hall. She couldn't tell that she had stepped over a gasoline line he had made. "You can leave, you know. No one would know you were here," she tried offering, speaking calmly. This wasn't like anything that Harley pictured she'd be doing, but it was better. She was trying to help somebody. "Nothing is worth this. Don't you know the laws? Of what will happen to you?"

"Yeah, I don't follow the laws," John mumbled under his breath, annoyed. "Not that you'd understand, you're privileged."

Harley watched as John took a pack of matches out of the back pocket of his jeans. Panic settled in, as she held her hands forward in defense. "I'm serious, John, you really don't have to!" She exclaimed, louder than she had meant to. The tone had startled the boy, but he didn't stop in taking a stick out. "You're right, I couldn't understand what you went through or why you're doing this," she admitted. "But you can still be a good person, and stop. Please, John." Harley always believed that there was good in people. She always thought, that even in the worst person, there had to be something bright inside.

Unfortunately, that was also Harley's biggest flaw. It would be the one trait of her personality that would set her up for something life changing and nothing she could have ever pictured for her future. This would be that moment, that would alter everything. Harley would wonder later on what would have happened if she did pause to look out the window and into space; if she didn't get here in time. John changed her life with a single action, and a few words he uttered with no regret.

"My name is Murphy. And I have to do this."

Before Harley could blink, the match Murphy had flicked against the box and dropped hit the ground. It only took seconds for the flame and gas to mix, and suddenly, the long hall was bursting in flames. Harley hissed sharply and drew her hands close to her body, even backed up from the flames, feeling the heat much too close to her skin. Panic mixed with fear arose in Harley's chest, and she realized how stuck she was in the mess that was John Murphy's life.

Harley wanted to call him insane. She was stuck inside arising flames with Murphy, who didn't seem to give a damn, and was even smiling with pride. Harley wanted to shout at him for what he's done, until he realized the damage he caused them both. But it wouldn't do anything. It'd be the same thing as getting angry enough to shout at a brick wall, because Murphy simply had no regrets.

What happened seemed to pass by slowly and in a blurry way, but it was in fact actually very fast. First, Harley heard the sound of alarms blaring. Then, she saw flashes of red and a blurring voice over The Ark's loudspeaker. Lastly, she first felt small droplets of water that was taking the flames out before tight hands gripping her upper arm. In shock, Harley turned around, her eyes wide and in fear to see that the guards had already arrived.

Murphy was kicking and screaming cuss words at them, until one of the guard used his shock baton against his lower back. Both Murphy and Harley were in the same state; their skin covered lightly coated with soot, hair singed, and smelling like a barbecue. A deep voice spoke from the male holding Harley's arm, informing her. "Harley Bostwick, you're under arrest - "

"Under arrest?!" Harley repeated, astonished. "But, but, I didn't do anything!" She looked wildly from Murphy to the guard, like the boy could speak on her behalf, after being knocked out. Not that he even would, probably. The guard didn't listen to Harley's honest words that she sputtered out desperately. "Please, sir, I was trying to tell him not to - "

"Harley Bostwick and John Murphy, you're both under arrest for arson in the Alpha Station," the guard spoke loudly over Harley. "You will both then be put into the Sky Box, where you will wait until your eighteenth birthday for a review."

No matter what Harley said in desperation, it was met with an empty silence. The rest of the guards continued putting out the flames, as two each dragged Harley and Murphy's limp body to what she knew was the Sky Box. Harley couldn't fight the tears that were brought to the corner of her eyes. It wasn't fair, she realized, with a sick feeling in her stomach. All she wanted to do was help a stranger realize that doing something dangerous to help the dark feeling wasn't worth it.

The guard used his ID chip to unlock the door to the Sky Box. Harley was met with delinquents chattering through the steel walls of their cells. She's never been in this place of The Ark, never had a reason to be. Harley didn't fight as the guard stopped her at one door, but couldn't help by looking over her shoulder to see Murphy was no longer unconscious. He was still weak though, and had no energy to fight against the guards like he did before.

Yet, there was a lot Harley didn't think about when seeing him for a split second. She didn't see the way that they had the exact same facial features. From the same color of blue eyes and dark brown hair, to the same lowered crooked nose. The only difference between them was Harley was innocent, and Murphy was not.