( twenty-three )

"Why isn't he responding to you?" Octavia's irritated voice reflected into Harley's ears

"Why isn't he responding to you?" Octavia's irritated voice reflected into Harley's ears. She could hear how furious the fierce girl was, and she lifted her head to see that Octavia was pacing back and forth in front of the dropship with her fists clenched at her sides. "I need to know what the hell is going on with my brother." Her words spat out, much more aggressive this time.

Quickly averting back to the walkie talkie in her limp hand, Harley shook her head sadly. "Me too." She missed the way Octavia's thin eyebrows lifted in confusion, but knew there was no time for an explanation. Raven and Jasper were underneath the dropship, working on messing with the wires to open the door, and Harley knew if she didn't calm Murphy down in time, he wasn't getting away from this alive. He's already killed Myles, and no one knew what he would do to Bellamy. A handful of the gunners had surrounded the dropship, all ready incase Murphy came out, or waiting for him to do something stupid.

Harley lifted the walkie talkie up again. "Please answer me, John," she pleaded. She knew he didn't want to talk, and was probably busy messing with Bellamy, but this was too much. "I know you're mad at Bellamy, and what he did was horrible, but that can be dealt with later. The grounders are out there, and we need the bullets and gunpowder in the dropship." It was the best excuse Harley could come up with, if she thought for a second that Murphy cared for the other delinquents, even if they hung him.

Suddenly, Murphy's voice flooded through the walkie talkie, cracking. "I thought you were about peacemaking, El."

Feeling herself breath sharply in relief, Harley nodded to Octavia, signing to her that she had finally got Murphy to listen. She pressed the button again as Octavia marched towards her and spoke calmly. "You called me El." The only nickname she's been referred to by her friends since landing was the Social Butterfly, she's had yet to hear a shortened version of her name. From least of all, Murphy.

"Well, I am about peacemaking," Harley continued. "That's why I'm talking to you." She glanced up, seeing Octavia staring back at her, boiling with rage. "We keep him calm," she said softly, making sure her finger was off the button so Murphy couldn't hear her. "Keep him talking, and they'll both be okay."

"I don't care if Murphy's okay," Octavia hissed with a scoff.

This was the problem, Harley thought to herself. Nobody cared about Murphy and if he was okay or not. Only she did. It wasn't about them being siblings, because if it was anyone else in the dropship, Harley would still be outside and trying to calm them down.

"No, you're talking to me because you think me being your brother is supposed to mean something," Murphy shot back, his voice firm and livid through the walkie talkie. Harley shut her eyes, from being stung by his words and not wanting to see Octavia's expression. They didn't have time to dwell on it. "I don't know you. You don't know me."

"And if you do something stupid I'll never get the chance to," Harley stated gingerly. She waited for him to process it before continuing. "Bellamy hung you when you were innocent, then him and Clarke banished you. There can be consequences for what was done. But not like this."