( twelve )

Harley's feet ached with every step into the woods

Harley's feet ached with every step into the woods. They were blistered and tired, as was she, but she continued on and followed Bellamy deeper for the search for Octavia. Octavia was worth the pain in her feet, so she continued on, even though she was not only in pain but frightened. Traveling in the woods during day was one thing, she'd at least see if a grounder attacked. Night was different, they'd never see the attack coming. The spear thrown at Jasper days ago was done with an amazing and skillful angle. These were warriors, wanting to kill them all for what reason Harley hadn't known.

Their leader had demanded they split up into smaller groups earlier so they would be able to cover more ground, to find wherever Octavia was. Bellamy wasn't even remotely close to giving up, and Harley was the optimism they all needed that they'd find her okay despite the circumstances they were in. Mbege had wandered off in the general direction a bit, before calling them over with a shout to see what he was seeing down a slope. Bellamy was the first to rush over, Harley following after with her fists clenched by her sides.

"Right there," Mbege pointed out, motioning towards something hanging in the bushes with his torch until the light shone on it. "You see it? Is that Octavia's?" He asked Bellamy. Harley peered forward, her eyes squinted to make it out. It looked like a piece of clothing, torn, if she had tumbled down.

"Rope," Bellamy demanded, his hand outstretched. A delinquent complied, handing it over to him.

The leader immediately tied it to a tree, securing it. "What are you doing?" Finn asked, watching him.

"We need the rope to get back up," Bellamy explained. Mbege handed him a flashlight before he was tying the rope tighter and gripping it while carefully slipping down the slope so he wouldn't fall. Harley tilted forward, watching as Bellamy came to a halt and picking the object out of the bushes after flicking his flashlight on to get a better look in the dark. "It's hers!" He finally shouted over his shoulder. He pushed the bush aside, sliding down further. "We're going all the way down."

Jasper was the first to go next, handing the torch he was holding to Harley without a word, except the glance he gave her saying it all. She stayed quiet, watching her friend follow Bellamy's step down the rope. She quickly made her decision and passed the light to Finn, who looked wearily at the small girl. "Are you sure?" He asked.

Gripping the rope, Harley nodded. "Yeah," she responded. "We have to find her." Finn nodded back, and Harley let herself slide down. She winced at the feeling of the rope digging burns into the palm of her hands, but stopped to jump off the ledge when reaching the end. She stepped forward, seeing Jasper kneeling behind Bellamy, who had drops of blood on his finger tips from swiping them against a rock. It had to be Octavia's.

Jasper held the flashlight forward, and Harley leaned forward over his figure to see what they were looking at. It was footprints, not like Octavia's, as they were much larger. "Someone else was here," Bellamy stated as Finn landed on the ground behind them.