( twenty-two )

The shovel Harley was holding dug deep into the dirt with her lithe fingers wrapped around the wood with each drive forward

The shovel Harley was holding dug deep into the dirt with her lithe fingers wrapped around the wood with each drive forward. She was tired and uncomfortably hot, despite it being night, but none of the delinquents were close to giving up. Everyone was just as tired, keeping an eye out for the grounders night and day. Myles, Clarke and Finn were attacked by them while hunting, and the others had brought Myles back in critical condition. Bellamy, knowing it was a sign of war, had ordered the delinquents around. All Harley wanted was to find her missing friends, and take a long nap.

"Hey." A greeting caught Harley's attention from below, where Raven was preparing a wire in the hole Harley was digging. It was Raven's idea, to plant mines outside of the wall. "Stay focused and dig deeper here," she ordered. Harley nodded, putting her foot on top of the shovel and pushing it downwards back in the dirt, careful not to hit the wire. Raven's hands went to work, tying it together.

Approaching the two girls at work and passing by a few others, Bellamy watched closely. "Better hope those landmines work," he said. "All the gunpowder we're wasting, we could be making more grenades."

Rolling her eyes, Raven paused her actions to look over her shoulder. "You want to come over here and test one?" She challenged.

Ignoring her, Bellamy continued his demands. "I need this entire section mined by morning," he commanded. "Then you finish the South field."

Caught by surprise, Raven stopped and rose to her feet. "Hey!" She called out as Harley backed up from the mine she was working on, not wanting to be to close without the mechanic near. "I told you, we're going after Finn, Clarke and Monty in the morning."

"And I told you, nobody leaves this camp," Bellamy retorted.

Discouraged at the statement, Harley pressed her palms on top of the shovel. "But they're our friends!" She proclaimed.

"And what if they're dead?" Bellamy shot back, looking over Raven's head to glare at Harley. "Then we go out there and probably die for a maybe."

Giving Bellamy a disappointed look by tilting her head, Harley lifted a hand and pointed behind her to the graveyard. "Then we bury them with the others," she quipped. "Our friends belong together. Besides, you don't know that they're dead. Myles was brought back alive," she argued.

Choosing not to respond, Harley sighed as Bellamy bluntly ignored her distress and turned back around. Raven followed after him, and Harley couldn't hear what she was whispering, but from her angry stand she knew that the mechanic was giving him an earful for choosing to abandon his people. She couldn't believe that their 'fearless leader' was taking the cowards trail, choosing to let his people die when they could be lost and scared, or worse, wounded like Myles was and dying. Grounders were coming whether they left to search or not, but Harley chose to let Raven handle it.

Suddenly, there was a loud gunshot ringing in the air from a distance away. Harley's heart nearly leaped out of her chest at the sound. She picked the shovel up, holding it at her side as if it was a weapon and sprinted forward towards the echo. She could clearly see Sterling leaning against a tree, holding a gun and on watch, while desperately trying to explain to Bellamy it was an accident from being on watch all day. Harley breathed a sigh of relief, becoming glad they weren't under attack, but it didn't last.