( nine )

Murphy had been pacing back and forth in front of the delinquents that had crowded together, a few feet away from where Bellamy, Clarke, and Finn had dragged Charlotte into a tent to hide out from Murphy's rampage

Murphy had been pacing back and forth in front of the delinquents that had crowded together, a few feet away from where Bellamy, Clarke, and Finn had dragged Charlotte into a tent to hide out from Murphy's rampage. He hadn't let Harley helped him, or even clean the blood off his face. He was still limping from the beating earlier, and his voice was still deep and hoarse from being hung. "Bring out the girl, Bellamy!" He shouted.

Harley could hear quiet murmuring coming from the tent, but couldn't make out what they were saying to the young girl. She couldn't figure out why Charlotte, a small quiet child would ever kill someone, especially someone as kind and hopeful as Wells. Not many people at the camp liked him, due to how he was the son of the chancellor who have floated people they care about, but she did. That doesn't mean Harley thought it was right to agree with Murphy and get revenge on Charlotte, the same way she didn't think it was okay to hang Murphy.

"Bring the girl out now!" Murphy yelled.

Having enough, Harley went to step forward but Octavia reached out and touched her arm. She looked at Harley, shaking her head, overprotective and fearing Murphy would do something to her. "I tried not to let them hang him," she told her, her voice quiet so the conversation was only between them. "I have to try again."

"This isn't right," Harley stated, her voice gentle when she approached Murphy. She was scared of him, especially now when he was angry and more threatening, but she didn't back down. Not yet, anyways. "John, hanging you wasn't justice," she stated when Murphy finally looked at her, discouraged. "Neither is harming a scared little girl."

"Out of everyone here, I thought you'd understand the most," Murphy shot back, making Harley tense, automatically knowing what he meant. Harley was innocent, and locked up for two years; not one person believed her when she claimed she didn't help Murphy in setting an arson. It was the same situation for him, when Murphy was accused of killing Wells and despite his claims of not doing it, he was hung.

"I do understand," Harley said, treading around the words carefully. She did. Some could have assumed maybe that she hated Murphy for what he did, but she didn't. All Harley ever wanted to know was why he did it. Everyone deserves a second chance. "But I'm not trying to kill you for getting me locked up."

Slowly breathing in and out, the pair held an intense gaze before Murphy finally spoke. "I guess that's one of the few differences between us." Before Harley could ask what he could have possibly meant by that, Murphy was shouting at the tent again, completely ignoring her. "You want to build a society, princess? Let's build a society! Bring her out!" He commanded. Harley opened her mouth to speak, but felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Octavia, motioning for her to step back before it got ugly, to which she complied.

The opening to the tent flipped open, and only Bellamy walked out. Harley's boots dug in the dirt as she stepped back, knowing this wasn't going to end well. Not after that cruel act Bellamy had done, and the way Murphy wanted revenge. "Well, well, well," Murphy greeted, taunting. "Look who decided to join us."